Forum

Author Topic: Can photoscan & Metashape work with stills from 4K camcorder slowly panned ?  (Read 3178 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
a camera takes a still image perfect if shutter greater than focal length.
A camcorder when panning  is a different thing, must the stills be as perfect for photoscan or Metashape to work.
Would a 4K camcorder save taking loads of photos, would we have to extract the stills or can Agisoft work with video ?

detail of what I tried...Using an AX100E 4K camcorder by Sony, panning can look a bit jittery, even very slow panning, using 1/50 second 0db f6.8 0density filter, lighting dictated this if using 0Db gain, would a faster a shutter speed help ? but then the depth of field would suffer, or would it, are f numbers a different thing on camcorders ? It was held on wide angle throughout the sequences.

Steve

Kiesel

• View Profile
Hi Steve003,

look at File/Import/Import Video......and at page 17 of the manual.

I don't have used it, so no experience I can share, sorry.

Regards

Kiesel

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi Kiesel, I can see mention of import video in the pdf manual, it says:-
Import Video...imports video in a form of frame sequence and saves the extracted frames as images.
I panned really slowly to avoid jerky stills, but I wouldnt want e.g. 1 still per second as I would have thousands of stills. I wonder what extraction options there are. I also will need to mask the background out as its in a museum and if it works on what it sees it will emit smoke signals !
page 17 of the metashape pdf manual doesnt have anything on video and use of, (p17 is titled reconstruction parameters) I have searched on the term video and found nothing, ditto 4k.
I envisaged another video editing prog to get exactly the stills I want from it.

Steve

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Steve,

Currently Import Video option allows only to extract every Nth frame from the sequence in the specified time frame. The extracted frames will be put to the user-defined folder and automatically added to the project workspace.

See the screenshot  of the "import video" dialog below:
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Kiesel

• View Profile
Hi Steve003,

sorry was an older manual for version 1.5, where I have looked in. In actual manual it is on page 21.

Best regards

Kiesel

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
as I was panning slowly as my 4K camcorder seems to give jerky video on normal panning despite trying the fastest card and best settings, and its £1400 and full manual control, every 10th frame would give far too many images.
I am interested to know, if a subject is 2 meter long, and I am standing 2 metres away, how many seconds panning from start to finish might one need to do to get a suitable number of frames if every 10th frame is used. I was taking maybe 16 seconds to do so. I later did a faster scan maybe 8 secs as another test.

I would have to on this occasion manually edit out the backgrounds on some of the frames in photoshop, as it goes from a shot of the subject and a lot of background in the museum when starting the scan to just the subject.

Steve

BKing

• View Profile
Hi,
as I was panning slowly as my 4K camcorder seems to give jerky video on normal panning despite trying the fastest card and best settings, and its £1400 and full manual control, every 10th frame would give far too many images.
I am interested to know, if a subject is 2 meter long, and I am standing 2 metres away, how many seconds panning from start to finish might one need to do to get a suitable number of frames if every 10th frame is used. I was taking maybe 16 seconds to do so. I later did a faster scan maybe 8 secs as another test.

I would have to on this occasion manually edit out the backgrounds on some of the frames in photoshop, as it goes from a shot of the subject and a lot of background in the museum when starting the scan to just the subject.

Steve

Hi Steve!

The longer the exposure time the slower you have to pan/move the camera to avoid motion blured pictures.

You don't need to edit out backgrounds. You can use the masking feature in metashape.

Thomas

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION !
I read that Metashape works with the exif data in order to perform its magic.
If I am hitting a stills capture button in a video playback or editing prog, capturing stills from the video, will those have that exif data the same as a stills camera would generate ?
would such images captured that way work in Agisoft ?

I need to capture stills at moments in the video I know I need them, two stills might be 3 seconds apart, using Agisoft  inbuilt image capture every 10th frame will see far too many stills compared to what is required for 60% overlap. If I end up with 10x as many images as required it will make the prog struggle if not fail ? Some of those are bound to be between keyframes, keyframes give the best image usually, if it captured every lets say 5th keyframe that might be better.

agreed a slow shutter speed means a slower pan, but a dull and poorly lit museum needs a slow shutter speed if I am to have good depth of field.

Also the Sony AX100E I have seems to have an inbuilt inability to pan without causing jerkiness, as I have tried it in sunshine on everything from 1/50 to 1/600.

My subject matter pan starts off showing a load of exhibits in the background then becomes in seconds just my subject then the ceiling creeps in then the floor, all that extra background stuff seems to me a distraction, likely to cause failure. I am familiar with mask from model, but if the background isn't enough in the sequence to create a decent mesh, editing it out can see one faced with a poorly defined mush to start with.

I have had failures where I am convinced pre editing in photoshop would give a better result.

Steve003