Forum

Author Topic: Which video player or editor are Agisoft users using for stills capture ?  (Read 1619 times)

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
 If I go the route of capturing stills from video for use in Agisoft, rather than use the inbuilt every 10th frame option, I am wondering which player or editor enables me to press a capture key capturing stills without it asking me each time for a file name and save location, and without it stopping the video playing, and it must capture same size and quality, so no jpg compression. and be able to go frame by frame backward if I miss my moment, as well as frame by frame fwd.

I am told Vegas with some coding can capture as png, is png ok or should I use bmp or tiff, if it does those.

So what progs do you find will do all this ?

Steve003

SB

• View Profile
I believe VLC will do what you want.  While playing you can type SHIFT+S to take a snapshot.  It will save in a configured place.

If your video stream is not in some sort of raw format then it is already compressed in some way.  If it's mp4 then the frames will not be any better in png or tiff format.  If possible, take your photos as stills in DNG, NEF, or some other raw format.  Then tiff images are definitely worth considering.

SB

urancle

• View Profile
Hi Steve

You can achieve this with DaVinci Resolve. It is a free video editing software from Blackmagic Design (they produce cinema cameras). Besides the function you need it is maybe the best software for color grading.

Steve003

• View Profile
Hi,
I have installed DaVinci Resolve, watched three youtube videos and nobody does a step by step on how to get the video into DaVinci and into the play window, I cannot get it to show, have imported the file in but cannot get it into the play window to right click it and choose capture.

Its odd that it also doesnt give that option in the default interface.

Installed VLC and it does it with a simple hit of the Q key (set up in prefs). same quality as frame. KMPlayer makes 4K into HD on quick capture mode else would be good.

Steve003
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:04:52 AM by Steve003 »