Forum

Author Topic: Reading 6 decimal EXIF Geocoordinates instead of 8 decimal XMP data?  (Read 2171 times)

jazzyj

• View Profile
I'm testing a PPK processing software with Phantom 4 RTK drone files which updates the geocoordinates inside the EXIF file.  I compared EXIF data before and after and it appears the software I'm using only modifies the 6 decimal GPS coords in the EXIF section and not the 8 decimal coords in the XMP section.  I was assuming Metashape reads the 8 decimal coords from the XMP data however I loaded both images into Photoscan and instead of the coords being the same they are different, indicating Metashape is only using the 6 decimal coords which is 0.1 meter accuracy level! 

Metadata Before

XMP
Absolute Altitude   +367.33
Relative Altitude   +50.20
Gps Latitude   46.46966340
Gps Longtitude   -120.67038065

EXIF

GPS Latitude Ref   North
GPS Latitude   46.469663 degrees
GPS Longitude Ref   West
GPS Longitude   120.670381 degrees
GPS Altitude Ref   Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude   367.328 m

After PPK Updates Image Metadata

XMP

Absolute Altitude   +367.33
Gps Latitude   46.46966340
Gps Longtitude   -120.67038065
Relative Altitude   +50.20

EXIF

PS Latitude Ref   North
GPS Latitude   46.469672 degrees
GPS Longitude Ref   West
GPS Longitude   120.670374 degrees
GPS Altitude Ref   Above Sea Level
GPS Altitude   366.4672 m

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Reading 6 decimal EXIF Geocoordinates instead of 8 decimal XMP data?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:58:36 AM »
Hello jazzyj,

Have you tried to print out via Python the following:

Code: [Select]
for camera in Metashape.app.document.chunk.cameras:
   print(camera.reference.location)

Or just select Longitude or Latitude cell and press F2 on keyboard to switch to the editing mode. In that mode you should see all the loaded decimal digits, which are rounded to six only for the display purposes.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jazzyj

• View Profile
Re: Reading 6 decimal EXIF Geocoordinates instead of 8 decimal XMP data?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 03:24:22 AM »
So it appears the EXIF viewer I'm using (http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi) must not be showing all the decimals for some reason?  Because per my post, the XMP geocoordinates did not change in the image file, only the coords in the EXIF section.  Very confusing.

Thanks for clearing it up on the Metashape file, F2 shows all the decimals.  Maybe in a future version, the number of decimals shows should expand when you expand the column?  I think other users in the past got confused by this too.  Have a nice weekend!