Forum

Author Topic: Hardware test thread  (Read 2046 times)

Kjellis85

• Archaeological field supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Contact information at University of Tromsø
Hardware test thread
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
This is a forum request, not a feature request, so I am posting here ::)

I think a lot of people who are interested in building their own rigs for processing are wondering what to choose. There are several commercial sites that have guides and recommendations for what kind of setup you should buy, but I think most of these sites are biased towards their own products, as well as not being up to speed with all the different products out there. Currently, the AMD CPU's and GPU's are making waves, but very little information about their metashape performance is to be found. But I am pretty sure some of the users here have real world experience using these. Therefore I propose that we create a sticky thread were people can post system specs and report from a run on a given test set of images, perhaps one for aerial and one for a statue or figure. That way we can keep track of how well different systems perform.

As a sample I have run a test on ultra using the Monument sample set on my system with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 4GB
RAM: 4x32 GB (128GB)
Storage: Western Digital WDC PC SN720 SDAPNTW-512G-1006

Attached is the processing report.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware test thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:20:53 PM »
Hello Kjellis85,

I think monument dataset is too small to observe considerable processing time difference and compare the hardware configuration.

We'll try to publish the download links for larger close range project and aerial dataset.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Hardware test thread
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 06:25:56 AM »
Hi Kjellis85,

Check out Pugetsystems who have published comprehensive hardware comparisons & recommendations for Metashape online:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Agisoft-Metashape-145/Hardware-Recommendations

Currently one of the best value for money CPU/GPU packages is a i9-9900K with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti.

Best regards,
SAV