Forum

Author Topic: Optimal tiled model settings?  (Read 5867 times)

Jantjj

• View Profile
Optimal tiled model settings?
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
Hello everyone. New to Agisoft and exploring the options with my trial professional version. I created a model of a factory for a client, with 1400 36 MP drone pictures. The dense cloud contains 674M points and it looks very good. I initially generated a high quality depth map and reused that for creating a mesh. This however resulted in an "out of memory" error after half an hour of processing, for both high and medium face count. I tried the tiled model then... and that worked fine (medium face count, took 12 hours to compute). I set the tile size to 1024. No idea what the optimal setting for this is. Can you shed some light on this? I want to use it for uploading to 4Dmapper, so the client can visualize it in there. My PC's specs: i9 12 core/24 threads CPU, RTX2080 GPU, 128 GB RAM.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Optimal tiled model settings?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »
Hello Jantjj,

You can try version 1.6.0 pre-release for the depth maps based mesh and tiled model generation:
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=11331.0
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Jantjj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »
Thanks Alexey, for your reply. This however wasn't my question ;) I would like to know the impact of the tile size, when creating a tiled model. Since creating a mesh didn't work (out of memory error), I am forced to make a tiled model...

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
Hello Jantjj,

In the version 1.6.0 pre-release depth maps based mesh generation shouldn't require more that 16 GB RAM. However, for the upload to 4DMapper you might really need tiled model.

Usually we suggest to use 256 tiles option for faster navigation. Default face count is "low" for the Tiled model, but usually it is sufficient for aerial projects. But you can go with Medium, if you wish.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Jantjj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
Thanks a lot again! So what would be the benefit of a larger tile size then? If 256 makes for faster navigating, why would anyone go higher than that? Does it have anything to do with the LOD?

Jantjj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Oh and you mentioned that I need the tiled model for uploading to 4Dmapper. Which export settings/file type do I need to select for that?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:18:01 PM »
Hello Jantjj,

Larger tiles means smaller number of these tiles, which may be useful for some specific purposes, for example, if the tiled archive is unpacked and each tile is used a a regular mesh model.

You can use direct upload feature from Metashape Pro to upload the tiled model to 4Dmapper account. If you prefer to upload the tiled model using 4D mapper web-interface, then it's better to check the supported formats there. I think Cesium 3D tiles is the most common format.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC