Forum

Author Topic: align rotate model widget to 'world' coordinate system  (Read 4996 times)

James

• View Profile
align rotate model widget to 'world' coordinate system
« on: December 17, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
When you build a mesh/model and use the 'rotate model' tool, the rotate widget is initially aligned to the 'world' coordinate system which coincides with the 'model' coordinate system.

If you then use the rotate model tool widget, it stays aligned with the model: rotating the widget rotates the model, as you would expect.

It would be useful to be able to reset the widget's rotation to coincide with the 'world' coordinate system without resetting the rotation of the model.

For example, i might use the rotate tool to get my model approximately aligned with Z up and X and Y pointing where i want, but to then make fine adjustments in only one axis i can no longer use the red/green/blue XYZ rings on the widget because they have all been rotated away from the world axes, remaining aligned with the model's arbitrary initial axes.

Using the spherical surface of the widget between the rings, or dragging on the screen is OK, but inevitably introduces slight rotations in axes that i don't want rotated.

James

• View Profile
Re: align rotate model widget to 'world' coordinate system
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 01:22:54 PM »
Also a larger rotation widget for finer control, and one which you can recenter by double clicking as you do with recentering the point of view rotation in navigation mode would complete everything i want for Christmas... this year at least.

SMJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 09:13:23 PM »
looking around the forums to see if I was just missing something, or if the rotate model tool really was just always aligned to the models local coordinate system. Rotate model would be so much better if you could lock the widget to the world/screen view to be able to get the generated model nice and straight. As it is now the model generated is always at an off-angle, with no way to easily constrain the rotation on a per-view basis.

Also seems like the move/rotate/scale should have text input as well as mouse gizmo tools. Many times I have a pretty exact amount I want to scale the final model by, but have to try and get it just right by dragging the scale gizmo, which is kind of clumsy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:31:29 PM by SMJ »

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »
Also a larger rotation widget for finer control, and one which you can recenter by double clicking as you do with recentering the point of view rotation in navigation mode would complete everything i want for Christmas... this year at least.
I've also requested a larger trackball.  As i find it's tiny size makes it far to twitchy when rotating.  If we could edit its ratio to the viewport size ourselves, then we'd all get the perfect Christmas present!
I'm an old Catia V4 user, and it's trackball was perfect.  MS' one i struggle with still.....

https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=13692.msg60489#msg60489
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 05:17:57 PM by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »
I've also requested a larger trackball.

I spent ages trying to find this old post of mine, to link to it from your request, and you'd already found it!

Maybe this christmas will be the one!

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
🤞🤪🤞