Forum

Author Topic: GPU Dont Work  (Read 2650 times)

andersonwazbr

• View Profile
GPU Dont Work
« on: December 15, 2019, 05:01:49 AM »
I sold a computer to a client to use photoscan, but he complained that he can't activate gpu to process the jobs. I tried to help remotely, but even without having knowledge of the system, I realized that everything was apparently configured correctly.

The computer is very strong:

Processador AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Placa mãe AM4 - Asus X470 TUF PLUS Gaming (ATX)   
Memória DDR4 - 64GB (4x 16GB) / 2.666MHz - Corsair Vengeance LPX - CMK32GX4M2A2666C16   
SSD - M.2 (2280 / PCIe NVMe) -512GB - Intel 660p Series - SSDPEKNW512G8   
HD 4TB SATA3 Western Digital RE Enterprise - WD4000FYYZ (3,5pol, 6Gb/s, 7.200 RPM, 128MB Cache)   
Placa de vídeo - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (8GB / PCI-E) - Galax EX 28NSL6MDU9E2   

only the processor works, the GPU is idle

Does anyone know what is wrong?

follow some pictures

https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/gT9DE
https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/gTA7v
https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/gTOYY
https://www.imagemhost.com.br/image/gTiIS

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: GPU Dont Work
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Hello andersonwazbr,

If your client would like to monitor GPU activity via Windows 10 Task Monitor, he should switch one of the graphs to "Cuda" option. Otherwise use dedicated GPU monitoring tools, like GPU-Z or NVIDIA-SMI, for example.

Also please note that not all the processing stages support GPU acceleration. For example, in the version 1.5.5 the following steps are GPU supported:
image matching (first phase of Align Photos stage),
depth maps generation (first phase of Build Dense Cloud stage),
sub-steps of depth maps based Build Mesh operation,
sub-steps of depth maps based Build Tiled Model generation.
In the version 1.6 the texture blending will also support GPU acceleration.

The version on the screenshot seems to be 3+ years old, so it might have only depth maps based acceleration on GPU.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

andersonwazbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »

I understand, I will ask him to provide the newest system, about working time, such a large equipment, processing about 5000 photos in 4k, take about 1 week to process?

thanks

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
Hello andersonwazbr,

Following regular processing workflow on this hardware the result can be achieved in a few hours, if we are speaking about aerial data processing:
Align Photos: High accuracy, Generic + Reference preselection, 40 000 / 10 000 key/tie points, adaptive fitting - disabled,
Build Dense Cloud: Medium quality, Mild Filtering,
Build DEM: source - dense cloud,
Build Orthomosaic.

But without GPU acceleration and improper parameters used (like no preselection for the image matching), the procedure could take days.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

andersonwazbr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
It will be possible to give an indication of how to leave the program perfectly configured for this client, he is not very knowledgeable about the platform and I as a hardware vendor cannot provide detailed assistance, as my hardware recommendation was based on the requirements indicated by the site and other customers who bought computers for this purpose. Thank you in advance

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
Hello andersonwazbr,

There's nothing special about hardware configuration, just making sure that the latest drivers are installed, no RAM failures are observed and, preferably, no overclocking. Of course, proper cooling should be provided to the system to avoid overheat issue.
In Metashape GUI the discrete graphic cards should be enabled in the GPU Preferences tab to benefit from GPU-acceleration on certain stages.

As for the processing settings, they may vary depending on the project requirements.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC