Forum

Author Topic: 1.6 -new GPU texture generation takes over twice longer than in previous version  (Read 3392 times)

Mariusz_M

• View Profile
Just updated to the newest build 1.6. The chunks that needed 40 - 60 minutes for texture generation in the previous versions, now need over 2 hours. For some reason GPU accelerated process works slower than non-GPU before. I have Nvidia Geforce 980M and so far with every update all GPU-accelerated processes have always worked much faster than non-GPU. This time it is different. Why?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello Mariusz_M,

Is it possible to share the processing log at least for GPU version?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mariusz_M

• View Profile
Here you are. This is a log from my batch processing I set over night. Starts around 3:50. All previous actions were some final tests. As you can see 4 chunks in batch process took 9 hours so far and the last one is still going. Previous version could do it in 4-6 hours.

Mariusz_M

• View Profile
Is there any tweak to temorarily bring back the old way of texture processing under 1.6? I have a project to finish within days.

wojtek

• View Profile
Yes, you have to disable GPU's in preferences (that is how i worked around this).

Mariusz_M

• View Profile
Thanks, I have worked this one out as well, but it is quite annoying. I have a few chunks at different level of completion, so every time  switch chunk and want to process a new stage, I have to remember to either switch on or switch off GPU. That is why I am asking about a tweak that I can input in the preferences to switch off GPU only for texture processing.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello Mariusz,

Thank you for providing additional information. We'll try to make a comparison on a similar GPU.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mariusz_M

• View Profile
There is one morere thing that might be important, I do not reall know, as I do not know what it means. However, when I used to process textures on CPU and when I do it now, the console shows a long string of caracters like this:

*?????*********?????????*?????????????????*???????????????????****************??

But on GPU it always looks like this:
************************************************************************************************************************

What is it and what does it mean?

Are these photographs used for texture generation? Can it be that on CPU only some of them work what makes the whole process faster, while on GPU every single photo is used?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
Hello Mariusz,

Thank you for additional input, we will test the texturing of a small area for the large project (to reproduce the high number of skipped cameras) and see if on GPU some redundant cameras are used.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC