Forum

Author Topic: optimize / transform imported mesh / dense cloud without cameras?  (Read 1770 times)

LWR

• View Profile
Hello dear forum,

I have different meshes and / or dense clouds (all types of file formats), which I prefer to import into Metashape. I have exact points in the models which I have to transfer to another coordinate system (so that I can connect it to other measurements). So to speak, I would like to set markers and use the "optimize cameras" function - only - of course I have no cameras / no camera information.

Is a "simple" transformation possible in this way? (like Helmert transformation / 7 parameters)
If yes how? (So, for example, fix the set markers firmly on the mesh / dense cloud and then optimize them?)

Maybe Metashape (even without cameras / only with a simple mesh or dense cloud) supports the very complex transformation, as in the standard procedure? (I don't think so)

If no: do you know of comparable freeware programs that enable this intermediate step? (possibly with instructions?)

Thanks in advance!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: optimize / transform imported mesh / dense cloud without cameras?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »
Hello LWR,

Optimize cameras refines the relative orientation of the available aligned cameras and therefore have effect on the tie points. The mesh and dense cloud are discarded during this operation.

Can you please elaborate, which task you are trying to solve? Something like applying the scale (referencing) to the mesh or dense cloud model via 3D points (markers/shapes)?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

LWR

• View Profile
Re: optimize / transform imported mesh / dense cloud without cameras?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Hello Alexey Pasumansky,

pretty much as you described:

I try to scale and move existing meshes or dense clouds (actually no matter what, because you can transfer both into each other) using 3D points with exact coordinates.
Background: I usually work georeferenced (with UAV or normal cameras). Sometimes I have to incorporate other people's techniques into my photogrammetry models (scans, RGB-D cameras, modeling). These are usually not sufficiently georeferenced or diagonally in the coordinate system etc.
Here I am trying to combine the different works and techniques with Metashape.