Forum

Author Topic: Paint Masks with Brush  (Read 4577 times)

bestable

• View Profile
Paint Masks with Brush
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
With "Strict masking" it is possible to get great results from few an very simple masks. No need to fine trace edges.

I just wish they could be created more easily, something like circular brush with adjustable size would be perfect.

P.S. I cant fathom how to use "Intelligent Paint".

James

• View Profile
Re: Paint Masks with Brush
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
i'd love to see circular brush type mask painting too

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:02:19 PM »
It looks like it is just me and You, James. Sadly. This could have been huge timesaver.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 12:17:19 PM »
We do a lot of building facade condition assessment, and so often photos are taken of a structure from the scaffolding built right onto it.

It would be so nice to be able to paint masks over the scaffold poles using a brush of varying diameter.

Currently i have a clunky workflow where i do this in photoshop by opening ~20 photos at a time, cycle through them painting over the scaffold poles on a new layer, saving, repeating for another 20, and finally running an action in image processor to turn the image black/white before re-importing as a mask.

It's a thankless task whether you do it in photoshop or metashape, but directly in metashape would still save a lot of steps!

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
the joy of masking, attached

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
I do it in Blender, 2d Animation, > grease pencil

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:56:30 PM by bestable »

wojtek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
the joy of masking, attached

I think you could align/model the project with both facade and the scaffolding unmasked. Then remove the facade from the model & get masks "From Model" and invert. That way you will mask scaffolding and keep the facade (for the most part).

James

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:29 PM »
I think you could align/model the project with both facade and the scaffolding unmasked. Then remove the facade from the model & get masks "From Model" and invert. That way you will mask scaffolding and keep the facade (for the most part).

In theory that works, but as the scaffolding is not the subject of the survey it is not photographed comprehensively enough to be reconstructed particularly well.

Plus it is generally out of focus anyway, assuming the building facade is in focus!

Chani

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 10:19:11 AM »
This topic does not seem to have the attention it deserves, so I am also requesting masking with a size-adjustable brush. This would save a ton of time in many of my workflows too.

Bellbossk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 06:11:49 PM »
The intelligent scissors can follow contrasted edges if you hold down the ctrl key while clicking, just FYI.

Chani

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
The intelligent scissors can follow contrasted edges if you hold down the ctrl key while clicking, just FYI.

Thanks for that, I did not actually about that. It is still a very slow method to mask a lot of images though.

Even the free form selection from the Ortho or Model tab would be much better than the slow 'click, click, click....' method of masking in the images.