Forum

Author Topic: Cannot reproduce the 3d banana model as shown in the tutorial  (Read 3236 times)

Superxiong

• View Profile
Hi,

I have done a test with a banana, trying to reproduce what the tutorial has demonstrated here. https://www.agisoft.com/index.php?id=49

My photos are similar with those in the example, you can see from here- https://photos.app.goo.gl/fPdmwesuZNFgtibz7

The only differences are that I used an iphone to take photos, also the background setting and color (and my banana is less riped...). I followed the steps of the tutorial. Even those 43/45 cameras are aligned, my photos are totally messed up as you can see from the attached pic. May I ask why is that?

I suspect only one mask created is the problem. I am trying to create masks for every banana in the pics to solve this problem but this is very time consuming. Any tips to create masks easily without outlining in every picture?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot reproduce the 3d banana model as shown in the tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:52:48 PM »
Hello Superxiong,

The problem is that there are almost no tie points detected on the banana's surface, which seems to be a reason of the image quality. Try to use better camera or at least provide better lighting (do not use flash, but have some diffuse sources of light instead), also use the image frame space more effectively.

The sample dataset that we have provided for the tie point masking is also far from ideal and is not considering many of the recommendations of image acquisition, so you do not have to follow the same visual example.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Superxiong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:52:12 PM »
HI Alexey

I took new pictures with DSLR. This time is a bit better, but only 55 out of 86 pictures aligned (only the top side of the banana.). I masked the two pictures without the banana.

Could you tell me what's wrong? I hope to see all images successfully aligned.

My pictures can be viewed here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZmywtDAceGwmj5Gz7   (DSC_0151 - DSC_0182 are not aligned).

Thanks you!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:56:41 PM by Superxiong »

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
Bananas are hard! ;) I mean it. Apples, pears etc are much easier.  Banana has very complicated shape to capture in focus.
I was struggling with them as well.

ƒ/5 is not enough- bump it up to ~10. Your depth of field is ruining the focus.
Current dataset- 1/4th of the photos has focus issues.

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
I attach mine banana dataset for You to play. Hope this helps:

Superxiong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
Wow yours look amazing! The banana looks really clear. Thanks for sharing!

I retook pictures again but still don't work. My new pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TujfMo9RgrHiRr169

I masked the background image. Is it because the background picture is over exposed? It may also be because I don't have/use a tripod.  Do you use tripod?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:50:33 PM by Superxiong »

Superxiong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
I photoshopped the background image and got a much better result. But one side of the pear has this scar, which may have come from the background image?

bestable

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 08:21:53 PM »
I have used Tripod + Ringlight (indoors).  Took RAW photos and increased contrast while unifying lighting in RAW editor.
Your outdoors photo look fine. Tripod would help for You in the future.

Your photos aligned fine for me. Try more Keypoints
I have just masked first photo with a pear.

Superxiong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
Wow That's super clear and helpful!  I will try your suggestions. Thank you bestable for taking the time to run my photos again! :D