Forum

Author Topic: photo based normal map acquisition for macro detail method?  (Read 1830 times)

itsallgoode9

• View Profile
photo based normal map acquisition for macro detail method?
« on: March 26, 2020, 05:56:17 AM »
Is metashape able to create object space normal maps from the diffuse scan photos? Or would I need to specifically light each acquired photo with the correct directional lighting, at the time of capture, then project on the model as a texture, to create this?  (hopefully that makes sense)

I'm talking specifically about normal maps for macro detail such as skin pores etc, not a high poly to low poly normal projection. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:24:51 PM by itsallgoode9 »

itsallgoode9

• View Profile
Re: photo based normal map acquisition for macro detail method?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 06:27:25 PM »
can anybody help me with the method for doing this?  would I do the same method, per camera, as you would for a material scan (multiple images of directional lights), create a normal map from each group of images, then use those images to project a texsture onto the model?

wojtek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »
The answer to your original question is no.

You would need to have multi directional light capture for every angle and process that outside of Metashape.

This is a nightmare to work with so I would advice against it.

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 11:42:19 PM »
As Wojtek you will have to use something other than Metashape after shooting your surface with 4 different directional lights. Substance Designer is the perfect tool for that.

Mak