Forum

Author Topic: Identifying the location of a dense cloud point within a raw photo  (Read 3151 times)

dyoung

• View Profile
Hello -- if I select a specific point in my dense cloud (or any arbitrary point in 3D space), is there any way I might be able to "back-calculate" where that point would be in one of my raw photos (i.e., which pixel of the raw photo is closest to it)? I realize this is a very unusual request, but I wanted to ask just in case someone has a clever solution.

The reason I ask is that I would like to be able to mark the top and bottom of a tree in my point cloud (or simply specifying the 3D coordinates) and then identify where those two points would be (pixel coordinates) in one of my photos.

Thanks for any insight!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying the location of a dense cloud point within a raw photo
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »
Hello dyoung,

Yes, you can project a 3D point to the cameras and get the 2D coordinates in the image space using Python. Do you need an example?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

dyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
Hi Alexey --  Excellent! Yes, I would love an example, if you have time. Thank you!

fjgarciam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
Hello dyoung,

Yes, you can project a 3D point to the cameras and get the 2D coordinates in the image space using Python. Do you need an example?

can be done for a shape on the orthomap? i can import a shape and have all the frames with 2d coordinates of the shape?

Paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 05:25:24 AM »
Yes, just select the shape and with right click menu, select Filter Photos by Shapes and filtered images appear in Photos pane...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:28:22 AM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

dyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 02:14:23 AM »
Hello Alexey,

I would still be very interested in some tips or examples for how to project a 3D point to the cameras and get the 2D coordinates in the image space. Is this done through the Metashape Python API, or other Python libraries? I understand that this can be done using geometry, but my understanding of focal length, sensor sizes, etc. is too limited to write an algorithm from scratch. Is there any documentation you could point me toward?

Thank you in advance!