Forum

Author Topic: Markers not refining location after I move a few to get green flags  (Read 2796 times)

jmaeding

• View Profile
I have used PS, now metashape, for a few years and same drone (P4P V2), and always follow the same workflow.
I use the USGS workflow so am doing things super common to most.
Lately, maybe in last 2 months, when I pull in text file with ground control points, the markers come in fine.
Then I go through my regular steps of:
1) right click in model by a marker, then "filter photos by point". that works.
2) place or drag the markers in a couple photos to refine the location, turns them to green flags.
3) NORMALLY - that causes the same marker in other photos to move very close to those first two.

Now, the markers are not adjusting, and I have to move them a large amount in the remaining photos.
Many times I have to hand place them, they don't even show.

This is much slower than before, as I can't even use the "filter photos by markers" once I adjust a couple, as that is better than filter by point.
I have been trying to keep up with latest version but not sure when exactly this started happening.
I have no issues otherwise. GPS data on photos is fine, aligning cameras is fine...its all good.

What settings could affect the other markers to keep them from self adjusting closer to the first couple I hand adjust?
thanks

jmaeding

• View Profile
Re: Markers not refining location after I move a few to get green flags
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:25:09 AM »
So I tried running optimize cameras after adding the control points, but not adjusting them.
I never did this before, but it gets the tie points much closer, then things seem to work better.
I still think something changed, but simply adding the optimize step (all General boxes checked) after adding control points is enough.
This makes me think the optimize options are affecting things. Like that additional corrections item.
Tricky to know what all that does as its not documented that I could see.

jmaeding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:03:33 AM »
There is still something not working like it used to. The markers are not adjusting after the first few are placed.
I need to contact support as this seriously slows down my workflow.
I would go back to whatever version this worked correctly in no matter how far.
I'll get with support.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:38 AM »
Hello jmaeding,

Which version of Metashape you are using? Is it 1.6.2?

Please see my post regarding the related change in another thread:
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=11329.msg50857#msg50857

In Metashape Pro (and PhotoScan Pro) versions prior to 1.5.4 estimated control point coordinates displayed in the Reference pane (and the error values as well) were calculated based on minimization of the reprojection error only, without taking into account measured control point coordinates in space. So they did not correspond to adjusted coordinates from the bundle adjustment step, and were recalculated from weighted image measurements alone.

Starting from Metashape Pro version 1.5.4 estimated control point coordinates correspond to the adjusted values, that is, they are calculated taking into account both reprojection error and measured object space coordinates. Similar behavior is common for other software packages and also allows for better detection of the measurement errors.

If you are interested in the difference between measured and triangulated control point coordinates, you can temporary uncheck the corresponding entry in the reference pane (thus making it a check point). Please note that check point error calculation is not affected by the change mentioned above. Upon unchecking the control points you do not have to click on Update button.

In the version 1.6.2 the suggested location of the marker projection highlighted with the gray flag in Photo view is not affected by the mentioned modification, so if you import the markers first and use Filter by Markers option - the behavior will be similar to the older versions.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jmaeding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
Hi Alexy,
Thank you so much for replying, this was eating away at me.
I figured out what you mean, uncheck the points so they behave as check points, then recheck once refined.
That does work, just tried on latest version.
I have to say, I think the change you made that causes this was a very detrimental to metashape's adoption.
The workaround is rediculously easy, no complaints whatsoever there.
What I mean is people new to the tool will never figure that out without a lot of trouble.
They will conclude the marker alignment is a time waster, and go to another software.
That is a horrible consequence of just a minor default setting change.
I strongly suggest you set the default back.
Maybe I missed some way to do that myself, but all the people flying drones for mapping will run into this.
Maybe the other user types will not get bit by this, but its important enough you should do a nag screen asking what type of project it is.
I just don't want such a great tool at the best price by far, to be swept aside by potential customers.
Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:03:51 PM by jmaeding »