Forum

Author Topic: Reference Setting or Gradual Selection (filter) by distance from camera?  (Read 1577 times)

Mycobiont

• View Profile
I do a lot of topography with oblique photos (walking around with the camera).  My feature request is to be able to remove (or prevent) photos from being used for tie-points based on distance.  It is really two requests, because I'd like to be able to remove both far away, and very close tie points.  Those far away have both poor resolution in the photograph and typically poor base-height ratios with other photos (yes, the Reconstruction Uncertainty get at this to some degree).  Tie points from the immediate foreground of my oblique photos can be very sensitive to lens model imperfections and often cause problems in optimizing my models.  So for my work, I would probably remove tie-point projections from a particular camera if they are closer than 5 meters or further than 100 meters.

I don't know the math behind the scenes well enough to know exactly what is best, but I can imagine two possibilities:

1. A pair of Reference Settings would be available that specify a minimum and maximum estimated distance from the camera for that camera (photo) to be used for a tie point.  This may not be possible with initial alignment if the scale is not yet available, but could go into force once the distance is known.

2. A pair of Gradual Selection filters for removing tie points based on camera distance.  Since these filters act on tie points that have multiple cameras involved, perhaps it would need to work on average distance from the cameras.  I think that would still do an OK job for what I'm thinking of.  It would be ideal if the measure was in meters.

Thanks!