Forum

Author Topic: DigiCamControl Open source remote control  (Read 14679 times)

tristan_bethe

• View Profile
DigiCamControl Open source remote control
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
I stumbled on this great application: http://digicamcontrol.com/supported_cameras

It enables remote control from your pc for many more consumer grade dslr not supported by the brands SDK.

Yesterday I easily managed to connect 6 Nikon D3200 simultaneously and control their settings and trigger them. You can even set an trigger interval and number of shots to take. Applications also allows to save the photo's directly to the pc.

Gem of an app!

oh and it is free! But I did immediately made a donation when I found out it worked. Well worth it!

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: DigiCamControl Open source remote control
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
cool find Tristan..

I would make a donation if my Canon 5D Mark II was supported..

f/

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
just installed it.. Canon 5D Mark II seams to work just fine... coooool !

f/

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Very cool. I'm starting to transfer over to Nikon D3200's due to lack of interest or support from Canon. The Nikon range are pretty fancy in comparison.

I will surely try this out, if it works, a donation will be order.

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
Hi Folks.

Yes - i'd seen this quite a while ago [about the same time as smartshooter was being discussed]. At that time i'd posted a few D3200 comments on his discussion "forum" [usual how many cameras type stuff]. Was still unstable release then so hadn't posted here. When I looked today he's done a website upgrade and the old forum has been wiped !

Memory is he's a very helpful chap - product looks promising. 

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:05:53 AM »
Hello!

Great find! :D

I was wondering about the triggering, did you actually manage to trigger them thru USB simultaneously with no lag (so that it would actually work with flash)?

Best, Magnus.

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
Hello!

Great find! :D

I was wondering about the triggering, did you actually manage to trigger them thru USB simultaneously with no lag (so that it would actually work with flash)?

Best, Magnus.

The software will have no impact on triggering, you can't sync cameras by software or mechanically. Maybe the high end cameras over ?5k but not low end consumer. You have to sync by light.

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Hi Magnus -  Lee [as expected] is right.

That is one of the questions I remember asking the DCC developer before he wiped his old forum - the answer is there is no [economic software] way of getting around the inherent [variable] delay introduced by [the amazingly complex] USB specification.

I do remember looking at some code one guy was writing to control the variable usb delay in a linux based cam control software - but he was similarly unsuccessful.

For DSLR the only answer to tight timing requirment is hardware "shuttercell" type solutions.

For canon point/shoot CHDK and a James Gentles usb 5V switch [it also has a variable delay flash output] should do the business - I was talking to him about this a few weeks ago: how to use his flash output as an input to an arduino multi-cam/flash controller with aim to develop a hybrid DSLR / point-shoot solution. that discussion was left mid-air, I'll have to remember to get back on track soon.   

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
from digicamcontrol site - anyone want to request Duka consider a network solution ?

"...Thanks Duka - yes, that's my understaning of the USB protocol [and therefore multiple host controllers (in one workstation)] is a workaround to the 127 figure.

Can you comment whether the number of "simultaneous threads" might be adversely affected by multiple host controllers [on one machine] ?

I guess the only way to check this out will be by way of "trial & error".

[I imagine this may also have been requested earlier ?] Do you have any plans to implement a multi-install-workstation solution ? e.g 20 frames / cameras captured to each of 5 workstations and subsequent [automatic] network transfer of all images to a central processing server ?

Mon, 05/13/2013 - 20:31 (new) (Reply to #3) #4
Duka Istvan

If the transfer speed not a problem you should uncheck the parallel transfer. A another solution record to the card and after that download photos to PC.

On "multi-install-workstation solution" i was not planed in near feature but this may change depend on how many user will request it."