Forum

Author Topic: Export pdf, obj, ply model  (Read 9828 times)

fpbv

• View Profile
Export pdf, obj, ply model
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
Hi guys

I need some help.
I?ve been using Photoscan for great results, really. I use a full frame camera, a Canon EOS 5D MK II to do the jobs and I am very happy with the setup.
But I need to export to pdf and when I use a set with a 80 to 100 images the texture jpg just shows a black imagery. When I open the pdf just show a white scene.
I?ve been using a 12.000 atlas width and height to do texture to better visual showing.
When I use the default it goes fine, but I need high resolution to show to my clients.
The same thing happens when I export to obj or ply.
So, what am I doing wrong?

Monserrat

• View Profile
Re: Export pdf, obj, ply model
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:15:38 AM »

Your problem is in trying to use a pdf to present such great results.

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:43:24 AM »

Your problem is in trying to use a pdf to present such great results.

Well, like I said before: The same thing happens when I export to obj or ply.

So, to my clients is easier to see the final product in pdf or to see in MeshLab. The problem is: why the jpg render is all black?

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
Hello fpbv,

For hardware accelerated 3D viewers the maximum texture size is limited by the graphics hardware. For example, GeForce 580 can render textures up to 8192x8192 pixels size. For older graphics cards the limit may be lower. Generating larger textures than supported by the graphics hardware is useless, as it will be either not displayed, or scaled down to the supported resolution.

Different viewers can have additional limitations on the maximum texture size. For example, Adobe Reader seems to down scale textures to 2Kx2K resolution for display purposes, and completely ignores textures larger then 8Kx8K.

MeshLab seems to downscale textures according to the hardware limitations, so it can display more detailed models then Adobe Reader. It also seems to ignore textures larger then 8Kx8K.

If higher level of detail is required, I would recommend to render a couple of views of the model using PhotoScan orthophoto generation functionality. Using this approach you can obtain virtually unlimited resolution of the final image.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
Thanks!
Very nice your suport. Now I?ll have to discover how much my hardware can do... ;)
By the way I would like to suggest a thing: a proper high resolution viewer to instal to customers? pc.
It would be nice if they can handle this by themselves. And more, if they could see the project in stereo, anaglyph or whatever, to choose the pair they want to see, I think you gonna be head and shoulders above others softwares.
Again, thanks for your reply.

Fabricio

markb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
Dmitry,

I am new to this and was wondering once you create multiple othro images can and how do u combine them in PS to be able to export a pdf.