Forum

Author Topic: Best Laptop for Metashape?  (Read 8478 times)

GOVANT

• View Profile
Best Laptop for Metashape?
« on: June 30, 2020, 06:16:52 PM »
Hi, I use Metashape for agriculture mapping. Because of that I need at least 64 GB RAM. Anyone know what would be the best laptop for me? I kind of get lost with the graphic card.

For example the NVIDIA Quadro T1000 (4 GB GDDR5 VRAM) is good graphic card for what I need?

One laptop that I'm interested is the Lenovo P53 i7-9850H: 64GB RAM DDR / Intel i7-9850H  up to 4.6Ghz TURBO BOOS / NVIDIA Quadro T1000 con 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM

Thanks for any advice.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:53:43 PM by GOVANT »

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Best Laptop for Metashape?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:47 AM »
Hi Govant,

For a workstation type laptop (such as the Lenovo P53) the best available graphics cards are the Quadro RTX4000, Quadro RTX5000 and Quadro RTX6000 (latter not available for the P53).

You might also want to check out high end gaming laptops from Razer (www.razer.com). They work very well with Metashape and RAM can be upgraded if needed (you can replace the RAM modules yourself). The Razer Blade 15 comes with the latest (10th) generation 8 core Intel i7-10875H CPU (16 threads) and a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super graphics card. All very powerful / latest generation components. Big plus: it's all packed into a sleek/compact and portable machine at just over 2kg total weight (no heavy 'monster' gaming laptop).

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

gto234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 07:05:54 PM »
Don't buy laptop for Metashape. It will throttle for sure.
Gaming laptops haven't addressed the heat issues yet.
I talk from experience. I bought a i7-8750h laptop and it is not good for metashape.

GOVANT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »
I need a laptop because I do agricultural mapping with drones. This mean I need to hand over quickly the result to my client. I don't have the time to go back to my house and star using Metashape. I think the workstation laptop have addressed the heat issue that what I like of the Lenovo P53.

Don't buy laptop for Metashape. It will throttle for sure.
Gaming laptops haven't addressed the heat issues yet.
I talk from experience. I bought a i7-8750h laptop and it is not good for metashape.

GOVANT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 06:57:02 PM »
Thanks for the information! I will search information about those graphics cards and the Razer Blade.

Thanks!!

Hi Govant,

For a workstation type laptop (such as the Lenovo P53) the best available graphics cards are the Quadro RTX4000, Quadro RTX5000 and Quadro RTX6000 (latter not available for the P53).

You might also want to check out high end gaming laptops from Razer (www.razer.com). They work very well with Metashape and RAM can be upgraded if needed (you can replace the RAM modules yourself). The Razer Blade 15 comes with the latest (10th) generation 8 core Intel i7-10875H CPU (16 threads) and a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super graphics card. All very powerful / latest generation components. Big plus: it's all packed into a sleek/compact and portable machine at just over 2kg total weight (no heavy 'monster' gaming laptop).

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
No worries.
P53 is a solid choice too :)

Regards,
SAV

cbnewham

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:29:38 PM »
I've been using a Razer Blade 15 with 64 Gb of memory since October last year.

It's very good for photogrammetry. However, as a laptop for general use I'm not that impressed - especially with the non-standard keyboard that inverts the position of the shifted and non-shifted characters on each key. Weird. The screen also suffers from slight flickering displaying certain mid-greys - I'd have preferred a standard screen that didn't have this problem over a 144 MHz fast refresh that does exhibit the problem.

But that said, overall it's a fine laptop - and runs very very cool.