Forum

Author Topic: Difference in height between point cloud and DEM  (Read 6822 times)

Dominic Toupin

• View Profile
Difference in height between point cloud and DEM
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
Hi,

I have exported a model in both point cloud and DEM. Then I compared local elevation from the point cloud and the DEM with the Z value of my control points use as markers in Photoscan.

The pixel value of the DEM has a Z Value near of the control points, but points from the point cloud in the same area has Z value always around 1 to 2 meters higher ?

Why the DEM generate in photoscan and the point cloud have that kind of differences ?

Thanks !

Dominic

Diego

• View Profile
Re: Difference in height between point cloud and DEM
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
I think you need a course in basic photogrammetry urgently.

Dominic Toupin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
That guy experienced the same problem. Does he need a photogrammetry course too ?

http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1019.msg5171#msg5171

RalfH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
diegotorres,

with all respect, but if you are not willing to help, you don't need to waste your time writing.

Dominic,

the difference could be due to additional filtering during mesh generation. Can you find out whether the whole model is shifted or only some areas?

James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
I think you need a course in basic photogrammetry urgently.

Can anyone recommend such a course in the UK? Or a shorter/intensive one further afield (with better climate)? No so urgent however.

aerospace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:26:12 AM »
the difference on Z axis in relation with the values on X,Y is normal in photogrammetry only if it is in a range, this differences belong to many factor as:
1. focal length: short focal length gives lower error on the vertical axis but higher on the plane (X,Y), longer focal length will give better results on the plane but worst on vertical axis
2. terrain or pixel quality/ detail: the results are better on naked terrain with rocks and high contrast nice illumination than in the forest with clouds shades, the sun inclined giving non uniform  light
3. quality of the optics, better lenses with the right f or aperture gives sharper images, so better cameras with better lenses and right adjustments produce better results
4. Scale: the scale is a relation of cost / information required, exactitude.
5. processing of the information, I mean the setup  of agisoft

Photogrammetry as a measurement method that use a lot of tools, techniques, terrain, etc, gives a precision and exactitude that have to be take into account, from the early stages with the client to the final stages producing the final   deliverables. a factor of 1 to 3 is nice in Z axis in relation with X,Y.
As an example, if you made a comparison with LIDAR, the results of photogrammetry are better on x,y, LIDAR is the best on Z but  worst on x,y.
so each project has limits on budget, precision, exactitude, time and tolerances with the final deliverables