Forum

Author Topic: How to clean a "mess of (not just) floating "garbage" points"?  (Read 5114 times)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
In Agisoft metashape (photoscan), is there a way how to clean a mess of (not just) floating points? After generating dense point cloud you get a lot of "mess points" (pictures below) - some are floating, some are "connected" to the main shape... These are "garbage points", is there some "automated" solution/feature of how to get rid of them...? Sure i do it by hand but it costs a lot of time... Any feature/worfklow/function in agisoft how to get rid of them quickly/automaticaly...? (at least partially)...?
If agisoft doesnt have such feature (in which version?) is there some other software that can clean this easily?

https://postimg.cc/d7Y3G8kf

https://i.postimg.cc/TPybM0RT/garbagepoints.jpg

Thanks

Bastiaan Veenstra

• View Profile
Re: How to clean a "mess of (not just) floating "garbage" points"?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
Have you generated your dense cloud with confidence?
If so, you can apply that filter; using a range from 3 - 255 gives usually quite a good result. Any other remaining floaters are easily removed with the freehand selection tool.

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:13:48 PM »
Bastiaan,  Filtering the cloud by confidence is nice.  But how do you then generate other products that display only the filtered cloud? I don't see that as an option when generating a Mesh, for example.  One way would be to classify the filtered points to a unique classification  and use only that, but maybe there is a better way?

Bastiaan Veenstra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »
That is indeed the way to go as far as I know;

- Confidence filter the dense cloud
- Select all remaining points
- Assign those points to a class

From this point on you can either process only that class further into a mesh or tiled model, or you can reset the filter and delete all points in the other classes.
The way to do this would be; (continueing the previous steps)

- Reset filter
- Filter by class and unchecking the class where the points are that you want to keep
- delete all points
- reset filter
- reset classes

After this you can delete the remaining floating points by hand or the other tools Metashape provides.

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »
Thanks!

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »
Im not sure how to generate points with confidence...? I dont see that option ("tick") there when generating dense point cloud (in that dialog window)

The only options in the "Build Dense Cloud" options window i see, in the "advanced section" are Depth Filtering, Reuse Depth Maps and Calculate Point Colors.... I dont see any "Calculate point confidence" or whatever there... (im using 1.5.5 Metashape)...

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 06:27:36 AM »
Looks like it was added to 1.6.0 in November 2019.

https://www.agisoft.com/pdf/metashape_changelog.pdf