Forum

Author Topic: Coregistration of multiple orthomosaics  (Read 2867 times)

UAV_project

• View Profile
Coregistration of multiple orthomosaics
« on: July 21, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
Hey,

I was wondering if there is some way that I could use Metashape to co-register two or more orthomosaics together. The issue is that we only have GPS coordinates for one of the cameras on our UAV, and we have problems that sometimes one of the other two cameras will miss a trigger, and we can't tell where the missed triggers occur and so we cannot match the other two sensors with our GPS coordinates from the one sensor.

So if I was to create one orthomosaic with the GPS coordinates, and then two without GPS, could I then re-load these files into Metashape and somehow get them all combined into one georeferenced orthomosaic?

Thanks!
Steve

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
Re: Coregistration of multiple orthomosaics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »
Could you possible show us in a screenshot ? 

Bastiaan Veenstra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »
If you place markers in the photos, you should be able to generate an alignment with all data, georeferenced.

UAV_project

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »
@Probert, what screenshot would you like to see? I am actually doing it all using the Python API so there isn't really much to see.

@Bastiaan, I am trying to avoid the use of any manual processing steps as I am trying to develop an automated processing workflow, so manually adding in markers is something I am trying to avoid.

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »
Oh okay

Thought you should have mention that in your original post or others thought you meant the software....

I don't know if that will work because in order to have two images they have to be overlap to each other... but if you mean two image of the same place that need to be register I am not sure... You will need to ask @Alexey about that.

UAV_project

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »
Ya sorry about the confusion.

But yes the two orthomosaics would be of the exact same area, just taken with different sensors.

I am wondering now, if it is actually just possible to create two chunks, one with the GPS location data and the images that match, and then one chunk with the images that lack GPS data, and then try to align/merge the two chunks together in order to get the images from both sensors having GPS information. But maybe this won't work because the one chunk will use the local coordinates and the other EPSG:4326.

I will give this a try, but if anyone has any further advice on how I could approach this problem I would be happy to hear it  :)

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 04:05:51 AM »

Not to worry...

Yeah give it a try and see what happens..

If not, you can post that  in the "Feature Requests" forum  to have this feature add near in the future...

If not, you may need some sort of like ERDAS Imagine or other software  to be able to do that ...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:08:54 AM by PROBERT1968 »