Forum

Author Topic: cheap CAD software for contours, creating drawing, etc.  (Read 2393 times)

cronair

• View Profile
cheap CAD software for contours, creating drawing, etc.
« on: July 01, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for CAD software to produce a topographic survey deliverable from the point cloud created by Metashape. Although I would love to buy high-end software like AutoCAD or Microstation since that's what I have used for almost 20 years, I don't have the money for it. Looking for something cheaper or a combination of cheaper software to extract points to create a DTM with contours and draw in roads, buildings, trees, etc., and put it on a sheet with a title block.

I know 4Dmapper has some virtual surveying features, has anyone used that? are they any good? I assume I would have to export from there to other CAD software to create a drawing. Is this possible?

Thank you for any help!

SAV

• View Profile
Re: cheap CAD software for contours, creating drawing, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
Hi cronair,

Try QGIS. It's free & open-source.

www.qgis.org

FYI: You can also do (some) virtual surveying directly in Metashape. Just digitise lines / points on your computed DEM/mesh/point cloud and then export the vector files as DXF or SHP.

All the best.

Regards,
SAV

P.S. Regarding contours. You can either generate dem directly in Metashape or in QGIS with any DEM that comes out of Metashape. Use geotif format to export from Metashape.

PROBERT1968

• Hello !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
Couple question for you

Did you prefer to have like what AutoCAD or Microstation ?   Do you own your computer or laptop ? Do you work for the Government ?

There are things that you can try and post here : https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/    Someone can give you some leads to find similar what you are looking for.

If you have Windows 10 on your computer or laptop, there is a Microsoft Store in it and it has both paid and free ones that you can try and explore to fit your needs.

TXPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
global mapper  $550
use it almost daily
It will export almost any format out there.

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:21:54 PM »
@TXPE have you ever tried Global Mappers photogrammetry processor (pixels to points) ?