Forum

Author Topic: WGS84 Exports distorted in QGIS  (Read 2681 times)

Resourceful

• View Profile
WGS84 Exports distorted in QGIS
« on: June 14, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
I did a search and this seems to be an inconclusive topic.  The one solution I found was to use UTM 11N for the CRS, but that won't work for the client.

Inputting the ortho - DEM's into QGIS distorts the maps, and measurements are simply wrong.

Thanks,

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: WGS84 Exports distorted in QGIS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Hello Resourceful,

Can you please provide the screenshot of the orthomosaic from Metashape and Q-GIS which demonstrates the problem?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

RHenriques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 05:03:26 PM »
WGS84 is not a good format for planar mapping applications. Usually, maps that go to QGIS in that format appear visually compressed in Y . Things will get worse with higher latitudes. You must use a projected system compatible with the country of your client. Every country have an official coordinate reference system in projected coordinates suited for planar mapping work.
QGIS has an outstanding manager for coordinate output. This way you can plot your map in UTM11N, for instance, but output a coordinate grid in WGS84 without any problem. Pay attention that being UTM11N a planar system and WGS84 a spherical system, the WGS84 grid lines will appear not parallel to the map limits. However this is perfectly normal.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:08:14 PM by RHenriques »

Resourceful

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »
The ortho was exported as WGS84, so I am not sure why importing to QGIS WGS84 is a problem.  QGIS kept giving me messages about the EPSG being unknown, regardless of the export projection from Metashape.  I was able to get an undistorted map in QGIS by exporting as NAD83 UTM11N, but good luck getting the correct vertical datum.  Metashape / Photoscan used to handle CGVD28 seamlessly, but that's not happening any more.  See my multiple inconclusive threads on that.

Unfortunately maybe it's a lack of technical know how, but I have several projects coming out of Metashape at this point in limbo with various issues. 

Thermal mapping, vertical datums and output to GIS / QGIS are leaving a lot of my jobs unfinished, as is trying to get the cloud processing to work.

I have been trying my best to learn this program and follow the online articles, I really want to believe in this program but I am probably heading in another direction before my backlog gets too deep.

NilsS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
WGS84 is not a good format for planar mapping applications. Usually, maps that go to QGIS in that format appear visually compressed in Y . Things will get worse with higher latitudes. You must use a projected system compatible with the country of your client. Every country have an official coordinate reference system in projected coordinates suited for planar mapping work.
QGIS has an outstanding manager for coordinate output. This way you can plot your map in UTM11N, for instance, but output a coordinate grid in WGS84 without any problem. Pay attention that being UTM11N a planar system and WGS84 a spherical system, the WGS84 grid lines will appear not parallel to the map limits. However this is perfectly normal.

This was exactly what i needed, changing the system did the job, thanks!