Forum

Author Topic: Basemaps and OpenSSL  (Read 3766 times)

dpitman

• View Profile
Basemaps and OpenSSL
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »
 On a brand new Win. 10 installation, Metashape throughs the error "No OpenSSL found".

In order to load basemaps in the Ortho tab, is it required to install some other toolkit?  I'm not sure whysuch a library would not be included in Metashape if it is truely open source and required for a component of Metashape to work properly.

What's up with that?

Thanks!
Dave

Costas

• Aerial Mapping
    • View Profile
Re: Basemaps and OpenSSL
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »
When this Basemap feature first introduced in Metashape I installed OpenSSL v.1.0.2.u (Both 32bit & 64bit). Restart PC and it works like a charm.

Until now there are many different versions out there but i never tried them. For me v.1.0.2.u works and i do not want to mess with that.

You can find them here (https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html) (i used the normal version and NOT the Light ones)

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and link, Costas

Note that all those v.1.0.2u packages say "Not recommended for use". 

Trying to learn a little about OpenSSL. isn't that straight forward.  It's not clear why it is needed to use mapping tiles, presumably open source.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 10:35:09 PM »
Hello Dave,

OpenSSL libraries are required to use those Metashape features that use connection via Internet, such as direct data upload options, communication with Agisoft Cloud and the Basemap display in the Ortho view mode. For these purposes Metashape requires OpenSSL version 1.0.x (newer versions, like 1.1.x would not work).

If you do not need all these features, you can skip installing OpenSSL and just disable Show Basemap button in the Ortho view mode.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:52:13 AM »
Okay, thank you!

Costas

• Aerial Mapping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »

Note that all those v.1.0.2u packages say "Not recommended for use". 

This is because there are newer versions and this is not the latest. I do not think it will cause any problem because i use it as we speak with no problems at all.

dpitman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
Probably true, thanks!

Darko

• View Profile
    • CADCOM
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »
Hi Aleksey,
There is no OpenSSL 1.0.x just 1.1.x version. The other problem is that it asks for a donation and doesn't accept donation from my country. What can I do to get it running?
Best, Darko

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
Hello Darko,

Please check the list of alternative packages for Windows here:
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Binaries

It looks like you can still download version 1.0.x from here (may be required to unpack the libraries to the proper location):
http://wiki.overbyte.eu/wiki/index.php/ICS_Download#Download_OpenSSL_Binaries_.28required_for_SSL-enabled_components.29

Starting from Metashape 1.7 it wouldn't be required to follow external OpenSSL package installation.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC