Forum

Author Topic: manholes  (Read 1110 times)

jetdog6

• View Profile
manholes
« on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:56 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a surveyor in Nevada, and a common problem I see all the time is dipping sewer and storm manholes, specifically measuring the diameter of the pipes that may be 25+ feet below, and sometimes hidden at the bottom.  I'm quite experienced with metashape doing aerial mapping projects with drones.  I'm hoping I would be able to maybe strap a camera with a good amount of diffuse lighting to a pole, lower/rotate the pole into the manhole while continuously taking photos and build a point cloud from those photos in meta shape.  Does anyone have any experience mapping something like this?   A typical manhole is usually 4 - 6 feet in diameter.  Would some wort of fish lens work better on the camera?  There are some products that advertise performing this kind of functionality such as http://rapidview.com/products/panoramo-si/, but they are VERY expensive.  If some simple lighting, an inexpensive camera and a pole with Meta Shape could achieve the same or even similar results, it would be HUGE.  Any advise is much appreciated!  Also if anyone from Agisoft is reading this, this is a big problem for surveyors and definitely a market.