Forum

Author Topic: Bad Allocation/Insufficient Memory aligning photos  (Read 2063 times)

Cameron

• View Profile
Bad Allocation/Insufficient Memory aligning photos
« on: September 22, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi, I'm using Photoscan (v1.2.0 build 2198, 32 bit) for aerial photgrammetry. I'm following the same processing sequence I've used successfully on my previous computer (old Toshiba Satellite, 6GB ram, Win10 nothing to speak about) but now on a more powerful desktop. First step is aligning photos, current set is 150 (although I've tried the process on a subset of 20/50/75 and still get this issue). I can align them, but only on Lowest settings. Anything more and I get a "Bad Allocation" error. If I then try to proceed to the next step using the photos aligned at the lowest quality I'm unable to create the dense point cloud at any quality, as I instantly get the "Insufficient memory" error. (Log is attached).

I've been watching the memory usage and it doesn't look like it's using more than 5GB at any point. Despite that I've increase the virtual ram allocation to 48GB, to no avail.

Any advice?

PC specs:
Win10 x64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core, 3.59 GHz
32GB ram
2TB SSD
Radeon RX570 series, 8GB dedicated memory

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Allocation/Insufficient Memory aligning photos
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:10:25 PM »
Hello Cameron,

The problem is that you are using 32-bit version of the application which cannot handle considerable amounts of data due to the architecture limitations. So you should use 64-it version of PhotoScan/Metashape.

Also is there any particular reason, why you are using five year old version? Is any functionality of the older version missing in the latest release or whether you are getting better results on any particular processing stage?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Thanks, I began to think that might be the issue after I posted my question.

Using v1.2.0 is a legacy of my employer, who knows this version and generally finds it fit for purpose and so is resistant to upgrading. I'm working on convincing him to upgrade to Metashape, as it seems to me the licence he has should remain valid, but I need to show it's worth the hassle of learning a new interface etc first.

Cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 03:40:48 PM »
Changed the install to the x64 build, problem solved. Whether the update will ever happen we'll see. Thanks again.