Forum

Author Topic: Is Metashape the best orthomosaic/geotiff viewer?  (Read 3059 times)

ashalota

• Forest orthomosaics, long transects (300m agl)
    • View Profile
    • NASA: G-LiHT (Public orthomosaics)
Is Metashape the best orthomosaic/geotiff viewer?
« on: October 13, 2020, 10:06:30 PM »
I'm doing some manual annotation of my geotiff orthomosaics.

I've been looking at different geotiff viewers, but I can't seem to find any other one that runs as smoothly for viewing and zooming in/out on the orthomosaic. I'm guessing this is because the Metashape project folder already contains all of the pyramids, while the exported geotiffs do not?

Just curious if anyone has a different tool they like, I have a few annotation tools I read about that are useful within ENVI or ArcMap but because of how SLOW it is to scan the images in those, I find myself preferring to create some custom tools to use within Agisoft instead.

dpitman

• View Profile
Re: Is Metashape the best orthomosaic/geotiff viewer?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »
Hi ashalota,

How large are your geotiffs?  I've used up to 5GB tiffs in QGIS and there is no delay when panning around.

JRM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:22:03 AM »
the best geotiff viewers are those based on GDAL whom maintener is the one of libtiff/libgeotiff, you can use QGIS to display but none will give you stellar performance if the file is not internally tiled and not having a LoD/pyramid. Have a look to the COG profile of TIFF cogeo.org

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:41:51 PM »
Hello ashalota,

When exporting orthomosaic in GeoTIFF format you can enable Write tiled TIFF and Generate TIFF overviews options, that should considerably speed up navigation over the exported orthomosaic in GIS applications.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

ashalota

• Forest orthomosaics, long transects (300m agl)
    • View Profile
    • NASA: G-LiHT (Public orthomosaics)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 12:10:56 AM »
I think that was my issue, I never saved any tiling with my orthomosaics when I exported them. I think for my use case it's easiest to view within Metashape because it saves me the step of creating tiles and exporting, and the disk space, since I have a copy of these within Metashape projects already.