Forum

Author Topic: First UAV for archaeological surveying on a budget  (Read 2227 times)

Dukytony

• View Profile
First UAV for archaeological surveying on a budget
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been using metashape for years now as part of my archaeological work methodology.

I would like to start using a drone for further projects and I was wondering what would be the best option for me.

Here are my criteria :

- Budget : 1000-2000€
- Something small but with great definition (I'm working abroad a few times a year)
- Good autonomy
- Something pretty hard to destroy

Thank you guys for your tips!

dpitman

• View Profile
Re: First UAV for archaeological surveying on a budget
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »
I don't know of a drone that is hard to destroy.  In your budget, the Phantom 4 Pro is currently the best tool for topographical photogrammetry.

Pros:
General availability
Mechanical shutter
20 mp sensor
abundance of control applications
well known in SFM engines

If portability is a higher priority than quality then the Mavic 2 Pro is an option.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:59:22 PM by dpitman »

3create

• View Profile
    • 3create
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:08:35 PM »
I primarily use the Mavic 2 Pro for cultural heritage projects, mainly building documentation.
But your requirements may differ.

Pros:
- portability of course
- long flight duration (30 min)
- great image quality for a small sensor:
20 MP/ RAW, Camera is produced in cooperation with Hasselblad (but this may be mainly marketing/branding)
- highly reliable obstacle avoidance (for me a _must_ for oblique image projects where one often needs to fly close to the object and/or avoid structural obstacles)
- great stabilization when hovering, as it uses additional ground sensing cameras (allows for long exposures, even indoors without GPS)
- so far I've successfully used it with the flight planning tools DJI GS Pro, Pix4d and Map Pilot. But threre are many more apps, just haven't used them long enough for a substantial judgement

Cons:
- ISO limitations: beyond 200, such sensors produce far too much noise, IMHO

I've also used the Inspire with a Zenmuse X5 (FC550) in parallel to the Mavic 2 Pro on the same project, giving me a rare one-to-one comparison:
the image quality is identical (judged using the RAWs in Lightroom)!

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »
Hi Dukytony,

I agree with previous comments.

Phantom 4 Pro for best quality

Mavic 2 Pro for best portability

I personally prefer the Phantom 4 Pro not just because of the better camera (which has a mechanical/global shutter) but also because it is sturdier/has less moving parts (no folding arms) and the fact that it has a landing gear which comes in handy to catch the drone in the air when you cannot land (e.g., tall grass). Also, I prefer the larger remote control of the P4 Pro.

Best regards,
SAV