Forum

Author Topic: Custom metadata for chunks  (Read 1635 times)

wojtek

• View Profile
Custom metadata for chunks
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
I'm also using metashape to manage 3d assets and I find that being able to save custom metadata information to each chunk would be very beneficial (things like keywords, description etc etc)

Eric Baird

• Quadro K5000 + Quadro K620 / Xeon Hex / 64M RAM
    • View Profile
    • The Brighton Toy and Model Index
Re: Custom metadata for chunks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:19 PM »
Yep, I think that all serious media file formats ought to support the basic metadata fields (author, company, description, keywords, title, preview thumbnail etc.).

It would also be really really useful to have a free-text "notes" area where we could save project details, notes and status, for future reference.

Having optional metadata stored per chunk would be even better. 

The only problem I can see with with having more than one set of metadata per file is that if you are also exposing that metadata in a standard format so that the operating system's file manager can read it, and the file manager lets you find or sort files by standard metadata info, or display thumbnails in a folder window, then I don't know how Windows, Macs, Linux might respond to finding multiple metadata sets in a single file. Maybe they might only read the first one.

Ahhh... got it! I you want to save multiple sets of info for different chunks, we have Agisoft duplicate the first set of metadata into the file header, and if you want something else in the file header, you create a separate empty chunk at the top of the list, for holding the global file metadata and notes! Ha!