Forum

Author Topic: archiving projects while still usable  (Read 1457 times)

majou

• View Profile
archiving projects while still usable
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
Hi All,

I am not sure if there is a thing similar to what I am looking for.

I want to know if there is a way to archive Metashape projects but in a form which I can still access to extract information (if needed)
currently the project files are taking up to 600 GB of my 1 TB drive, and I still have many new ones to process.

I am still new to this practice and trying to build up a methodology that works. Can you please share your ideas or tips regarding this?

Many thanks!

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: archiving projects while still usable
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
Hello majou,

You can remove some elements of the project that you are not planning to use later. For example, remove key points (do not confuse them with tie points accidentally!), depth maps, orthorectified images (orthophotos - not orthomosaic).
If the dense point cloud has been edited and many points have been removed, you can apply Compact Dense Cloud command to such dense clouds.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

majou

• View Profile
Re: archiving projects while still usable
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »
Hi Alexy,

thank you for your reply.

Can you please elaborate more on the suggested tips?

For the mean while I try to extract anything possible from the project to save as separate: Orthomosaic photos, DEM contuors, DEM orthophoto, model PDF, model video. (if there are other possibilities of extracting more information please let me know.) This is required because the main purpose is "documenting" archaeological excavations.
However, this seems like too much work and may not be eventually needed for every single project. Therefor I am looking for a way to archive the project so that later if I needed to extract any of the above mentioned I would still be able to (or at least process them again).

also, as a side question: Is there a way to export the DEM contours with low point count. Autocad crashes every time I try to import or edit them in there. (it reads as a SPL with multi-million points)