Forum

Author Topic: RX 5700xt - no VRAM available for creation of depth maps  (Read 2820 times)

goofy

• View Profile
RX 5700xt - no VRAM available for creation of depth maps
« on: December 11, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »
I have found similar threads describing quite closely what I am experiencing right now but no actionable solution. The issue is that when creating depth maps at some point after about 80% into the process (my particular project) no VRAM is allocated to the operation. I tried both Linux (18.04 / 20.04) and Windows. Same behavior across platforms. I also tried the three most recent drivers each time installing them clean. No luck so far. Older versions of metashape seem also non-performant in this regard. VRAM of GPU is known good. Attached you find my system specs and the process log. Any help in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Ram: 16GB 3200
GPU: AMD rx 5700xt 8GB
Motherboard: MSI 450 pro VDH MAX

AMD Driver: 20.45.01.28-201204a-361901C

Most recent Chipset Drivers for all relevant components installed.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: RX 5700xt - no VRAM available for creation of depth maps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
Hello goofy,

Do you observe similar problems with GPU-based processing during the image matching stage?

Also please check if depth maps generation completes without errors and CPU-fallbacks, if main/depth_max_gpu_multiplier tweak value is set to 1 (application re-start it required after that).

Have you also tried to monitor VRAM consumption, do you see that it is not freed during the first block of depth maps generation stage?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

goofy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
Hello Alexey,

No issues during Photo alignment matching.

VRAM is freed after each block of depth maps generation. VRAM utilization for this project on high is about 50% or 4GB.

Also please check if depth maps generation completes without errors and CPU-fallbacks, if main/depth_max_gpu_multiplier tweak value is set to 1 (application re-start it required after that).
This one is interesting. It did lower the VRAM consumption for the depth map generation process to around 30% (before 50%). It did not prevent the GPU error and subsequent CPU-fallbacks. It also did slow down the overall performance. Meaning the process took longer overall. Does that make sense to you? What does the main/depth_max_gpu_multiplier tweak value actually do?

goofy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
I am still experiencing this issue. Any further suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »
Hello goofy,

We are trying to reproduce the problem on a similar hardware now.

How many images are there in the project that fails, what is the image resolution and processing parameters used?

Also is that correct that there are no other applications running in the background, which could consume all available RAM?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

goofy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
  How many images are there in the project that fails, what is the image resolution and processing parameters used?

I tried different projects with varying image count and resolution. Recently, I used your sample data located at download.agisoft.com/datasets/pano.zip. As a first step, I set the image alignment presets to high. No issue here → sparse cloud computes just fine using the GPU. Then I proceed to build a mesh from depth maps leaving everything set to the "high" default presets. Process starts  fine then crashes / CPU fall backs. If I set the presets to low it computes the mesh without GPU error.

Also is that correct that there are no other applications running in the background, which could consume all available RAM?

VRAM utilization is no issue. Plenty to spare while the process is running on high presets - around 6 GB. No other apps drawing significant resources - tested on Linux and Windows.

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:36:37 PM »
It seems like a driver issue, which returns 0 available RAM, when Metashape checks for the free RAM prior to the next sub-task.

We haven't yet managed to reproduce such behavior on AMD cards, including Radeon RX 5700 XT. Not sure, if it could be related to the physical GPU issue, though.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

goofy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:42:29 PM »
It seems like a driver issue, which returns 0 available RAM, when Metashape checks for the free RAM prior to the next sub-task.

It was indeed a driver issue. The Latest Adrenalin drivers did not perform at all. I SOLVED the issue by clean installing AMD's enterprise pro drivers: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q4-nov10.exe

No more VRAM issues. Project renders out without any problems.

Here are the Driver Details that work for me:

Software Version - 2020.1027.1104.19925
Driver Version - 20.10.27.05-201027a-360165C-RadeonProEnterprise
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01443
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13596
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.16
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.137
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.2.133
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 09:47:06 PM »
Great to hear! Thank you for posting.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mak11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
The Adrenalin drivers have been mostly useless for any compute related tasks this past 12 months.
Always install the Radeon Pro drivers.

Mak