Forum

Author Topic: Image acquisition problem with thin, sharp edges  (Read 1110 times)

edringel

• View Profile
Image acquisition problem with thin, sharp edges
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »
Hello and thank you in advance.
I am working with a librarian to make an online 3D catalog of  popup books. These are books that when opened, portions of the page rise from the paper. I have attached a picture of an old popup birthday card that was given to my daughter many years ago so that readers can see what this looks like. Apparently, these are an artform unto themselves and some books can be quite costly. I thought that if I could model the card, it would be worth starting to work on the real thing.
I have been unable to create satisfactory 3D models. I am able to model the center of the card, but not the edges. It seems as though Metashape does not like thin, sharp edges. My imaging technique permits me to take hundreds of photographs, and even with very high photo densities I am unable to get the edges to model. The center gets better and better, but not the edges.
Is anyone aware of a technique that could be used for this purpose?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:13:36 PM by edringel »

cbnewham

• View Profile
Re: Image acquisition problem with thin, sharp edges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
I'd suggest photogrammetry is not the tool for this.

If I were doing it I'd image the individual components from above, take the pictures into Blender and then make very thin meshes that are textured from images, then combine them as a 3D model in the same way as the real one.

Sounds a lot of work - but then attempting to clean up meshes from photogrammetry of very thin objects sounds horrendous too - and probably with a less satisfactory outcome.

The only other way would be to increase the thickness of the carboard components, such as backing them with blu-tac or something.

Just a thought - others might have a better solution.