Forum

Author Topic: Fast Camera Position Preview **SOLVED**  (Read 1688 times)

dpitman

• View Profile
Fast Camera Position Preview **SOLVED**
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »
I understand this is probably not needed for many users.  But for those of us using drone image sets, it would be a great help if we could get a quick camera relative location layout without waiting for tie- points and a sparse cloud generation in the Align Images step.

I think the application is probably able to display a visual of the camera's positions relative to each other without the other steps.  This simple preview would be very helpful to be able to see and quickly to verify complete coverage before leaving a remote site that took hours to get to.

In this image, you can see the missed images in the grid.  In this case, I expect this drone to miss images so I add enough overlap to compensate for a miss here and there.  However, if a couple or few happen to end up in the same general location it can be an issue.

I already have a laptop with me to verify other things and it would be great if I could load the image set into MS and quickly visualize the images (cameras) relative location.

Thanks,
Dave

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:42:31 PM by dpitman »

Paulo

• View Profile
Re: Fast Camera Position Preview
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:35:20 AM »
Hi dave,

on the field I would do a Low accuracy alignment with 10000 kpt/1000 tpt limit and the result should be available  in a few minutes compared to a normal High alignment. In the example shown in attachment, I compare the Low alignment with a normal high alignment on a 243 16 Mpix image dataset using a low end laptop (I7 4 core CPU, 16 GB Ram, GPU Geforce GTX 670X). Alignment was done in under 5 min for Low compared to close to 20 min for High.

And if your laptop is stronger than time will be even lower and you could reduce even more using Lowest accuracy...

PS. Same data set aligned in 2,5 min with Lowest accuracy and 5000 kpt/500 tpt limit....see 2nd attachment
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:55:43 AM by Paulo »
Best Regards,
Paul Pelletier,
Surveyor

dpitman

• View Profile
Re: Fast Camera Position Preview
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 05:41:47 PM »
Paul, thanks for the suggestion.  I just discovered that when you import images, if you have the model or ortho view open with cameras on. their position will populate the view as dots immediately with no processing.. 

This is exactly what I was hoping for and I'm surprised I missed it before.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:45:26 PM by dpitman »