Forum

Author Topic: Metashape on Apple Silicon  (Read 12168 times)

bgreenstone

• View Profile
Metashape on Apple Silicon
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »
I bought Metashape last week, and I'm blown away at how good it is.  I had been dabbling with Photogrammetry for many years using other resources, but Metashape has been a game changer for me.

I'm currently running it on my old Mac Pro and it is reasonably quick (once I enabled the GPU acceleration).  I'm wondering if there will be an update for Apple Silicon soon as I'm looking to upgrade my Mac sometime later this year.  I'm hoping it'll be even faster on that!

Thanks,

-Brian

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Metashape on Apple Silicon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Hello Brian,

We are planning to add native support for Apple Silicon, but I cannot provide exact time frame for it. Currently on M1 it is only possible to run Metashape in Rosetta compatibility mode which introduce some limitations to the resource usage.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

hystiff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
Hello Agisoft,

Could you give the community an update about the Apple Mac M1 native support in Metashape. Maybe an ETA would be a great help for the users who wants to switch or upgrade to new Apple computers.

Thanks and good luck.
GP

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Hello hystiff,

The development for M1 takes longer than expected, but we still hope that for 1.8 pre-release (expected in Autumn 2021) M1 native support will be implemented.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

cyrilp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:00:12 PM »
Hi, do you think the Apple M1 will have good performance ?

bgreenstone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 06:00:24 AM »
I would think it would have *amazing* performance, especially on the parts that are done with the CPU.  Most of the hard work seems to be done with the GPU's, so that may be about the same as on the Intel processors, but the CPU stuff should be really fast.  I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro in a few months when the new ones come out, so hopefully there will be a Metashape update soon!

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Very much looking forward to this update  ;D
Autumn (in Europe) is just around the corner, hence can't be long until it's available.

hystiff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
Hi Metashape,

I'm considering switching from my current M1 to the upcoming MacBook Pro M1X/M2 in a few weeks to speed up my computing times. But the fact that the Silicon version of Metashape does not allow me to decide easily.

Would you have a Beta release of a "Silicon" version?

Thanks to you :)

bgreenstone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
I think this 1.8 pre-release *is* the beta… or alpha.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:57:19 PM by bgreenstone »

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
Hello hystiff,

Please check 1.8 pre-release thread for the version compatible to M1:
https://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=13736
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

protactinium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 03:46:59 PM »
Thank you for the Apple Silicon native version! After briefly trying it out on an M1 MacBook Air, I bought an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro for running Metashape in the field. It turns out to be fast enough to replace a purpose-built Windows workstation for desktop work as well.

The Metashape 1.8 preview version is possibly still a little buggy on Apple Silicon - it cannot build tiled models, where it fails with "Error: Failed to close loop."  The other task times show the M1 Max processor (32-core GPU / 64GB version) is competitive with or faster than the fastest CPUs tested on the Puget System website, for CPU-bound tasks (probably assisted by its 512-bit memory bus).  Typically it runs about about half  to one third of the speed of a GTX 3080 GPU (desktop version) for GPU-dominated tasks (most notably in building depth maps).  Overall, it is much faster than anything else I have used for Photoscan/Metashape.  This is a laptop weighing 1.6 kg and running on its battery - it will be interesting to see what the Apple Silicon Mac Pro desktops can do when they eventually appear. 

Agisoft Metashape Professional Version: 1.8.0
CPU: arm
Number of GPUs Found: 1
GPU Model(s): Apple M1 Max

Project: Rock Model
Align Photos: 37.0
Build Depth Maps: 35.8
Build Dense Cloud: 11.7
Build Mesh from Dense Cloud: 23.0
Decimate Mesh: 2.9
Build Texture: 31.5
Total Processing Time: 141.9

Project: School Map
Align Photos: 31.0
Build Depth Maps: 78.4
Build Dense Cloud: 30.1
[Failed at Build Tiled Model]

Project: School Model
Align Photos: 469.3
Build Depth Maps: 632.3
Build Dense Cloud: 705.2
Build Mesh from Dense Cloud: 208.6
Decimate Mesh: 28.1
Build Texture: 417.4
Total Processing Time: 2460.9

Project: Park Map
Align Photos: 877.0
Build Depth Maps: 1354.2
Build Dense Cloud: 583.4
[Failed at Build Tiled Model]

For comparison, see table at https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Agisoft-Metashape-1-7-2-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-2098/

mauovernet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 07:15:31 PM »
Hi Metashape,I'm considering switching from my current M1 to the upcoming MacBook Pro M1X/M2 in a few weeks to speed up my computing times. But the fact that the Silicon version of Metashape does not allow me to decide easily.
Would you have a Beta release of a "Silicon" version?

i already bought 1.8.3 for mac chip M1 but only discover and found 1 GPU processor and , i already have 8 (eight) processors ... please help
HOW CAN I MAKE METASHAPE FOR CHIP M1 SILICON FOUNS AND USE THE REST SEVEN PROCESSORS PLEASE ?
why version UNIVERSAL 1.8.3 for chip M1 .... only found one processor of 8 eight chip M1 have
thanks bless

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 08:40:36 PM »
Hello mauovernet,

Can you please provide the screenshot from GPU Preferences tab of Metashape window from your M1 machine?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Kabe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 11:22:04 AM »
Also note that while the current version supports the M1, it is not enabled in the preferences by default. Take care to check both checkboxes on the preferences GPU subpage (labeled „Apple M1…“ and "Use CPU when performing GPU accelerated processing") and double check that they were actually set.

On my MacBook 16 this brought times to generate the dense point cloud from 1-2 hours down to 2 minutes!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:24:58 AM by Kabe »

glacier

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 01:07:48 AM »
Hey,

Reviving this thread -- I'm using the python api, and can't seem to get metashape to use my gpu. I've turned it on in metashape pro's preference (preferences --> gpu --> check boxes) but no dice when I'm running it in python. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

```
Found 1 GPUs in 0.000381 sec (OpenCL: 0.000314 sec)
Using device: CPU VirtualApple @ 2.50GHz (using 8/8)
[CPU 1] group 1/1: estimating depth map for 1/13 camera 0 (2 neighbs)...
```