Forum

Author Topic: UI Suggestion - Buttons vs Dropdowns  (Read 2306 times)

mitchfx

• View Profile
UI Suggestion - Buttons vs Dropdowns
« on: March 19, 2021, 04:28:28 PM »
I find that the change a few years back to Dropdowns for things like selection and translation modes is very counterproductive when it comes to working fast.  Yes, it looks all pretty...but the amount of time and clicks it takes to switch between modes is MUCH more cumbersome than simply clicking on a single icon in the toolbar.  There's a LOT of empty space along the top of the UI so it's not the the dropdowns avoid over-crowding.  To me it seems like a cosmetic choice for UX jollies vs really thinking about how it impacts the users how have to click on these buttons hundreds of times a day.  Anyone else agree?

James

• View Profile
Re: UI Suggestion - Buttons vs Dropdowns
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »
I agree to the extent that it's a little annoying when I want to rotate the model, or rotate or resize the region.

These are the only three of those tools that I use and none of them are the default so always have to click the little down arrow. It's made worse by the fact that I'm usually operating over a VNC viewer which renders my mouse cursor as a tiny dot rather than a pointer, so the precise place to click is even harder to find, but that's a problem for our IT department to figure out!

But it's not so annoying that I've made the effort yet to see if I can assign hotkeys to those tools, which would be a better solution for me anyway.

*edit* oh yeah and the selection tools, I almost always want the freehand tool rather than the rectangle one!

wojtek

• View Profile
Re: UI Suggestion - Buttons vs Dropdowns
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:41 PM »
I agree to the extent that it's a little annoying when I want to rotate the model, or rotate or resize the region.

These are the only three of those tools that I use and none of them are the default so always have to click the little down arrow. It's made worse by the fact that I'm usually operating over a VNC viewer which renders my mouse cursor as a tiny dot rather than a pointer, so the precise place to click is even harder to find, but that's a problem for our IT department to figure out!

But it's not so annoying that I've made the effort yet to see if I can assign hotkeys to those tools, which would be a better solution for me anyway.

*edit* oh yeah and the selection tools, I almost always want the freehand tool rather than the rectangle one!

Hotkeys are the way to go, had the same issue - they're worth setting up.