Forum

Author Topic: Metashape crashing intermittently during saves  (Read 3581 times)

jrp

• View Profile
Metashape crashing intermittently during saves
« on: March 26, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
Metashape crashing intermittently during saves, When it crashes, the whole application disappears, losing all work since last save, if multiple projects are open, they all close. It’s happening once or twice a week at the moment, causing a lot of lost processing time.

If windows is restarted it works again, but if windows is not restarted, attempting to reopen metashape gives message:

“Windows cannot access the spedified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.”

The windows user account is not running in admin mode (this is a regulatory requirement for our organisation, we can briefly access admin mode for testing or genuine admin tasks, but it’s time limited). But we’ve never had the issue before, and other machines have worked just fine in this configuration for a long time.

It usually, but not exclusively happens when saving during batch processing runs, we do a lot of batch processing though, so it’s possible it’s “during saving” that it happens. We estimate around 10% of batch runs end in a crash.

First assumption was a hard disk fault, we switched to saving on the OS ssd for a bit and it kept happening.

We have updated to metashape 1.7.2 (12070) by doing an uninstall and reinstall; but the issue is still happening.

The issue started at roughly the same time as python (3.8 ) was installed onto the machine. I suspect this may be involved, but I’m not sure. I’m also not sure what to do about it if it is.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:25:57 PM by jrp »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Metashape crashing intermittently during saves
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »
Hello jrp,

Does the crash reporter window appears? Also please check, if you see any error-marked lines related to metashape.exe in the Windows Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application section. If there are any related to the crashing time, please save them to .evtx file and send to support@agisoft.com.

Please also check, if there are any backup/synchronization services that may monitor the project folder and index the files. Also make sure that antivirus is not blocking any files in the project files directory.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
Hi,

Update mainly for information, as my problem now appears to be solved:

In the end we tracked this down to a false positive detection form Cisco AMP anti virus, which was silently killing the program and not giving any kind of notification afterwards. It seemed that it's basing the detection on a simple "it's saving lots of files, it must be a crypto virus" type huristic. Once we worked out the source of the poroblem, there was a full log in the Cisco AMP software of every time it had done it. Very unhappy with Cisco for for such a poor user experiance. We lost weeks of work to what we were startign to suspect was intermittent hardware.

In our case, we think we've solved it by a simple whitelisting, but it may be worth Agisoft taking a closer look at the problem.

Thanks,
JR

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »
Hello jrp,

Thank you for letting us know, we'll see, if anything can be done on our side on this matter.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

danderson4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 02:25:21 AM »
Has there been any more developments on this issue?  I am having the same issue.  Cisco AMP for Endpoints Connector is attempting to quarantine metashape.exe because it is classifying it as a W32.MAP.Ransomware.rwd.  Only happens on certain projects when I'm attempting to create a mesh from depthmaps.  Happens on one with 388 24mp images with medium depthmap quality and high qualty mesh

wojtek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 08:31:05 AM »
Has there been any more developments on this issue?  I am having the same issue.  Cisco AMP for Endpoints Connector is attempting to quarantine metashape.exe because it is classifying it as a W32.MAP.Ransomware.rwd.  Only happens on certain projects when I'm attempting to create a mesh from depthmaps.  Happens on one with 388 24mp images with medium depthmap quality and high qualty mesh

You might want to reach out to Cisco about this?