Forum

Author Topic: Selecting camera parameters to be optimized  (Read 2654 times)

Lara

• View Profile
Selecting camera parameters to be optimized
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:39:52 PM »
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out which camera parameters I should choose when running the optimization procedure, and I have a few questions:

Do you select camera parameters based on the camera type used? If so, which parameters should I select for photos collected with a DJI Mavic Pro?

When I enable the adaptive camera model fitting Metashape selects all the camera parameters, even though some are very highly correlated. How does the software determine which parameters to use? The manual says it’s based on reliability estimates…. But what does that mean?

Do you use the correlation matrix as a tool to evaluate which parameters to include in a manual selection? If so, is there a general rule, like for example removing parameters that cause a correlation of 0.8 and higher?

I would be most grateful if someone could help answer these questions!

Thanks,
Lara

nprokofyev

• View Profile
Re: Selecting camera parameters to be optimized
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
Hi Lara,
First of all, please refer to User Manual Appendix C. Camera models, where  optimization parameters and corresponding formulae are listed.

Yes, you should select camera parameters based on the camera type used.  DJI Mavic Pro has "frame camera". This type of camera should be processed well with default parameter set, namely,
f, cx, cy, k1-k3, p1-p2
If you are not satisfied with optimization results, you could add other parameters, but generally, there is much less mathematical basis behind that.

Lara

• View Profile
Re: Selecting camera parameters to be optimized
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply Nprokofyev!

I'll try excluding K4, B1 and B2 then.

Kind regards,
Larissa