Forum

Author Topic: Stitch vertical wall in 2D  (Read 2252 times)

Serge B

• View Profile
Stitch vertical wall in 2D
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to make a full flat 2D image with multiple photos.

I inspect exterior walls and facades with a drone. I am scanning the entire wall and would like to give my client a single photo of the entire complete wall so that they can examine the condition of the wall.

The quality of each photo is 20 megapixels. It would be easier to look at one photo at a time than to look at 300-400 photos one at a time. This method would be simpler.

It is not necessary to have gps coordinates but they are listed in the photo. I use the dji mavic 2 pro drone.

cbnewham

• View Profile
Re: Stitch vertical wall in 2D
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
Yes, that can easily be done.

Use Metashape to create a 3D model of the wall, then in a 3D modelling application use an orthographic camera perpendicular to the wall model to generate an image of the wall.

Your other option is to forego Metashape and just use a stitching program to tile the images - assuming they are taken face-on to the wall and the focal length of the lens is long enough / distance from the wall is great enough to reduce perspective effects.

The first option will generate a better result.

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 04:49:58 PM »
Serge B,

you can easily make an orthomosaic of a wall in the Pro version, so no need to do it in an external application.

Please have a look in the manual, page 47:

"Orthomosaic is a combined image created by seamless merging of the original images projected on the
object surface and transformed to the selected projection. A polygonal model (mesh) or a digital elevation
model can be selected as a surface where the images will be projected to.
Metashape allows using one of the following projection types: Geographic, Planar or Cylindrical. ...."

Best regards,

Kiesel

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:46:56 AM »
Hello Serge,

Probably the information in the related tutorial will be helpful for your task:
https://agisoft.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000154049-orthomosaic-generation-planar-projection-
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC