Forum

Author Topic: Bad model from laser scan dense cloud  (Read 2015 times)

Jernej

• View Profile
Bad model from laser scan dense cloud
« on: April 26, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
Hello

I'm trying to create a model from a dense cloud that was made with a laser scanner. I exported a part of the dense cloud into Cloud Compare to calculate the normals since Metashape doesn't calculate them facing inside as I want. The cloud has about 55.000.000 points which should be sufficient. I then set the bounding box to cover only part of the cloud from which I want to generate my mesh. The generated model comes out full of holes and noise.
I use the default settings in the mesh generation process and set the face count to high (which is about 11.000.000). 

Any idea as to why this happens and how could I fix this?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Bad model from laser scan dense cloud
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
Hello Jernej,

Do you have any cameras in this project or if the point cloud has been imported to the empty chunk?

Which format you are using for import and whether you can confirm that the point normals that you see in the Model view after importing the point cloud data represent the expected orientation?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Jernej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
Hello Alexey

I don't have any cameras in the project. I used 3DReshaper to import (.e57) the cloud and trim it. I then exported the cloud in PLY format.
If the normals aren't oriented the way I want them it shows when the model is generated as darker faces on the model (back facing). I also double-checked the normals in CloudCompare and MeshLab to confirm the orientation.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »
Hello Jernej,

Is it possible to share the E57 file to support@agisoft.com, so that we could try to reproduce the issue on our side?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Jernej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:46 PM »
I have sent part of the cloud via WeTransfer to support@agisoft.com.