Forum

Author Topic: Thermals on 10900k  (Read 2935 times)

jrp

• View Profile
Thermals on 10900k
« on: March 19, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »
Hi,

I have a brand new custom built machine with an i9-10900k, and RTX2070.

I’ve been checking the thermals on it, and I’m a little worried something is wrong. Either this generation just runs hot with Metashape or I have a problem with my cooling solution.

Within a few seconds of entering the estimating camera locations part of processing, (and some other bits) the CPU temperature pegs at 100, stays between 90-100, and it starts thermal throttling averaging aroung 4.5GHZ.

The performance is just fine, but I’m not sure if I’m damaging the thing.

I generally start to get nervous when I see temp stats going over 65, this one is making me very nervous indeed.

Thanks,
JRP

HMArnold

• View Profile
Re: Thermals on 10900k
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 01:24:23 AM »
If it helps, I'm running a i9-9900KS @ 4.00GHz

This machine was purchase specifically to do compute intensive tasks like water flow modeling and Photogrammetry

This machine ramps up hot as well, and has every time we've ever done a large job.

Some jobs take weeks of continuous processing to complete

No problems yet, going on 9 months.

Of course, it could croak right as I push the "POST" button, but so far so good.

Kamdron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »
Hi jrp

You did not write what type of cpu cooling you have. Perhaps this is the problem. For comparison, I have an i9 10980xe with Noctua D15s cooling. The cooler is huge but does its job and is very quiet which is a priority for me. The computer processes the models for many hours, also for many hours, all 36 threads can be 100% loaded and yet the temperature never exceeds 65 ° C, at least this is what the free HW Monitor shows.

Bzuco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
Look at undervolting your CPU. All intel CPUs in the last 10-15 years have their core voltage set much higher than it is necessary. You can save lot of watts during 100% cpu usage and decrease you temperatures significantly. I would advice you to set fixed frequencies to 4.3/4.4GHz on all cores and start decreasing volatages until your cpu freezes during calculations...then go step back(increase voltage back +0.01V) and test again if it is stable. This is quick tip how to undervolt and you don't need to care about temperatures anymore. If you want to keep frequencies variable(boost freqv.) then undervolting will be longer process to be sure your system would be stable...I think it is not worth for those extra boost CPU frequencies.

Also check your GPU temperatures during alignment phase and depth maps calculation. I was surprised that my RTX 2060 super reaches 74°C core and 87°C hotspot during matching points phase...and I have undervolted GPU and set power limit to 70% only.
Not all GPU calculations in metashape are utilizing all cuda cores @100% all the time, but when it hapens for few more seconds it can quickly increase GPU core temperature to limit when trottling starts.

Undervolting is not about making system unstable or less performant, but making it power efficient.