Forum

Author Topic: Problems with heights and distorted point clouds  (Read 1621 times)

Baten

• View Profile
Problems with heights and distorted point clouds
« on: April 28, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
Hi

I am currently working on my bachelor thesis and have run into some problems when using Metashape. In my work i am using uav data captured by a Leica Aibot AX20 uav where the pictures has been georeferenced with RTK.

Two flights was conducted and i am creating a point cloud from each flight, however the point cloud from the first flight has a ground elevation of 21-22 meters and the second flight has a ground height of 13 meters. The ground has an actual height of 20 meters so none of the clouds are at the correct height. When comparing photos from both flights they are taken at the same heights above the ground (20 meters), and with the same camera settings with the difference that for the second flight the camera was adjusted due to it being more sunny. Another thing is that i do not have any data regarding yaw, pitch and roll in the photos metadata, from what i can understand that and precise GNSS data for the flights are logged in a seperate file which i can only read into Leica Infinity.

The second problem present is that the resulting point clouds are distorted/stretched height-wise. For example a box with each side being 0.5 meters is in the point clouds 0.5 meters wide but 0.65 meters high.  I am working in the SWEREF 99 16 30 coordinatesystem with the RH2000 height system.

The problem most pressing to be solved is that of the stretched point clouds.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with heights and distorted point clouds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 04:45:00 PM »
Hello Baten,

Do you use any control points in the projects? If the georeferencing is based on the camera coordinates only, do the accuracy values in the Reference pane for the cameras correspond to the actual coordinate measurement accuracy?

Can you please also provide the screenshots of Initial and Adjusted values for both flights from Tools Menu -> Camera Calibration dialog.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Baten

• View Profile
Re: Problems with heights and distorted point clouds
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 11:23:40 AM »
Hi

I am going to compare using N-RTK for georeferencing and using GCPs. At the moment the GCP referenced point clouds are going to be created with Metashape, and another software to create the N-RTK referenced clouds. When using a smaller number for accuracy i get an even worse result. For flight 1, when using the standard 10 m accuracy the cloud is at 21-22 meters, however if i use 0.1 meters accuracy it is at 24 meters.

The camera calibrations are attached