Forum

Author Topic: Resize Region, efficient way ?  (Read 2465 times)

poff

• View Profile
Resize Region, efficient way ?
« on: May 27, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
Hi everybody,

I just recently switched from another software to Metashape (standard) and I am quite happy with it  ;)
Since I often have many objects to process simultaneously "Batch Process" is a real game-changer for me.

But there is one thing I really do not get along with...  :-\
Most of my objects are appr. the size of a football. My first step is to load all photos sorted in chunks per object (20 chunks or more) and then start a first batch process to algin the photos.
Next I manually resize the region. The region is usually far too large because Metashape "sees" also a lot of the room surrounding the object. Having done this, batch process does the rest.

This resizing of the region although is a pain in the …
The only tool I found is the “Resize Region” Button. Here I get blue dots at the corners of the region-box, that I can move.
But moving things in 3d in 3 different axes on a 2d screen is not intuitive at all. So I end up moving one point and then zooming/panning the camera to see, where the point went and then repeat this many times to finally get a small box precisely fitting the intended object.

Is there a better way to do this ?

In the previous software for example I used, this was done much easier.
One did not move the corner points but simply one of the six sides of the box. The sides only moved along the normal-axis of this surface. That made it very easy and quick to handle.

Maybe there is a possibility to centre the Box in the object and then resize it from this point, or ….?
Or can a I get a 4 window view (top, fornt, left, perespective) ?

I hope you get the point  :)
Thanks for any hint, that makes this step more convenient!

cbnewham

• View Profile
Re: Resize Region, efficient way ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
Can't say I've ever had this problem.

I just align the view (Ortho view, not perspective) so that the box is a rectangle on the screen and resize that. Then move the view to another axis of the box and resize that rectangle and then again for the third axis. Job done.

I'd never attempt to do it in perspective view or from another view point as it would be difficult - probably the problems you are encountering.

JJ

• View Profile
Re: Resize Region, efficient way ?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:44:32 PM »
using shortcut keys to quickly switch views helped me a lot

1,3 and 7 to change views, and 5 to switch between perspective and ortho (use ortho to rotate and scale either the region or the model)

right click and drag to pan