Forum

Author Topic: Build Depth Maps as separate Job? (or at least save after creating them)  (Read 8568 times)

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
Re: Build Depth Maps as separate Job? (or at least save after creating them)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 09:51:10 PM »
We could consider all of Metashape's jobs, not just depth maps...

If you look at the console, MS is going through cycles and cycles, stopping to write out zips, over and over again, then moving on to other stages, and more and more cycles...
Many, or all could be considered checkpoints and could trigger an 'autosave', where it could write out the progress done so far and committing the data to disk...  Some jobs would allow multiple, frequent autosaves, with no performance hit... Some might want to run for longer as it's all in RAM...  Whatever...

Then, if there was a system crash, or whatever, whereby we'd consider the data/settings to be good, we could then opt to tell it to resume from the last good checkpoint.
IF the dataset was bad, or the settings chosen wrong, or a stubborn bug, then we might choose to just tell MS to run the job(s) from scratch (as we have to now).

Metashape is only gonna be employed for bigger and bigger projects in the future... and something like this would allow it to scale up to those tasks.

Having MS crash after almost getting to the end of a 4-day alignment is not fun, i can tell you... And for a lot of people, that would be costing money.
Being able to resume from where it got to, maybe loosing an hour of processing, would easily acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:53:44 PM by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

CheeseAndJamSandwich

• View Profile
    • Sketchfab Models
I'm not sure when the feature was added, but i noticed that completed Depth Maps are now saved within the project if the meshing crashes, meaning i don't have to reprocess them all again...
Thanks for adding this!

I'd run out of disk space when it was saving the finished mesh, which is so annoying, but the Depth Maps where there!

Much appreciated.