Forum

Author Topic: Strategy for texture on edited mesh  (Read 2299 times)

ardens

• View Profile
Strategy for texture on edited mesh
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:54:44 PM »
I have edited meshes for several complex objects (figurines, vases) and need to apply texture to them. I built textures for unedited meshes, but applying those creates visual artifacts (see attached image). When I try to Build Texture for the edited, imported meshes, the texture is either a mish-mash of colors or one solid color (see attached images).

After I edited the meshes, I unwrap UVs in that software and include UVs in the OBJ export.

Is there a strategy anyone can share for successfully applying an existing texture to an edited mesh, or running Build Texture on an edited mesh in Metashape?

3create

• View Profile
    • 3create
Re: Strategy for texture on edited mesh
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:21:09 PM »
It's rather hard to pinpoint the exact errors based on screenshots in such cases (without the actual project files), but here are some rough guesses:
  • Artifacts: could be a problem with the polygon topology, i.e. overlapping faces. Solution: 3rd-party app to check mesh integrity with option to "repair" mesh
  • Textures on edited meshes: looks like a serious UV-mapping error. Basic test: let Metashape calculate the UVs for the edited/imported mesh (Mapping mode set to "generic" rather than "keep uv").
    If the texture is then still so buggy, it's a scaling/pivot problem of the imported mesh. If the texture is then OK, the UV coordinates of the imported mesh are messed up, i.e. a different mapping channel was used in your mesh editing software, which didn't get exported to the obj file.
Btw. I'm using imported, edited meshes in nearly every Metashape project, so rest assured, that MS can handle this task very well. There just semms to be a "little" hickup in your (uv-mapping/-exporting?) workflow... ;)
Good luck!

Cyberworld

• View Profile
Re: Strategy for texture on edited mesh
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 10:43:26 PM »
Couple of questions:
a. What software did you use to create the meshes?
b. When you say edited the mesh, what type of edits did you perform? If you scaled, rotated or moved the mesh, you'll likely have issues once back in Metashape.