Forum

Author Topic: Rigid Multi Camera Workflow  (Read 2813 times)

Darko

• View Profile
    • CADCOM
Rigid Multi Camera Workflow
« on: August 03, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
Hello,

Recently we have bought FOXTECH 3DM V3 Oblique Camera. That is the rig that consists of five cameras. One nadir and 4 oblique at 45 degrees. The nadir camera has 25mm lens while oblique cameras have 35mm lens. The rig is so small that the position shift for each camera is negligible. All the cameras are triggered at the same time and the photos have the same name. Since each has it's own SD card there is no confusion and it's been organized on my HD in 5 separate folders with the same name for each photo group that's been taken from the same position. My drone is equipped with the PPK GNSS so I have the position for each group of 5 photos with the same name but different folder.

What should I do next, how to load those photos with the same names? How to align it? Can someone give me the idea what's the workflow for such a system, please.

Best regards,
Darko

ScubaDiving

• View Profile
Re: Rigid Multi Camera Workflow
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:04:43 PM »
Pre-processing here will be key. Are all photos geotagged?
I would try the simplest method - use a python script or Bulk Rename Utility to rename each camera's photos (i.e for camera 1 change the filenames from saying IMG_0000 to something like IMG_0000_1, etc.) and load all of them at the same time to the same chunk.

Darko

• View Profile
    • CADCOM
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »
Thanks ScubaDiving.. I'll try this solution.
Best,
Darko

JMR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »
Renaming is not necessary put your 5 folders inside a parent folder and drag this folder to Metashape. It will notice this is a multicamera setup and will organise project accordingly. There is only one need. all 5 folders must contain the same number of images. One camera will behave as master while the others will be slaves relative to that one. I suggest you to use nadir as master.
Offsets, even if they are small, and are additional constraints and are not negligible, if they are specified by foxtech, you have opportunity to enter relative distances and angles in the camera calibration dialogue. If not, you can calibrate with a calibration project that must be done in a very well constrained scenario.

Best regards.
Geobit & Accupixel
Metashape training.

Darko

• View Profile
    • CADCOM
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
Thanks JMR. It's working this way. So far, it seems fine. Do you have experience with this type of cameras?
Best,
Darko