Author Topic: Close-range photogrammetry terminology  (Read 2352 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Close-range photogrammetry terminology
« on: August 11, 2021, 12:23:25 AM »
Is close-range photogrammetry (CRP) the correct term to use when referring to models made using Metashape from photos taken at a close-range? Or is CRP a dated term? Would calling it digital photogrammetry or structure-from-motion (SfM) photogrammetry be more appropriate?

I'm asking because of a comment I received on a recently submitted manuscript where a reviewer said CRP refers to an older form of photogrammetry. But when I search around online it seems like people still use the term CRP and I can't figure out what the more appropriate term to use would be.


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: Close-range photogrammetry terminology
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 06:46:26 AM »
I'm no expert and I don't know the context of your work but I would agree that CRP is a dated term from when photogrammetry was strongly associated with aerial survey. It's become ubiquitous enough in other applications that just photogrammetry is a sufficient description. The context of the discussion in your manuscript should be sufficient to separate it from aerial photogrammetry


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 710
    • View Profile
Re: Close-range photogrammetry terminology
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Hi mjferrell,

@rbnkc: Photogrammetry itself is a very dated term too  ;)

I personally wouldn't have any issue if the term Close Range Photogrammetry was used in a manuscript (unless you were referring to an aerial survey as close range).

Just some other terms to throw into the mix:

UAV photogrammetry: where images are acquired by UAV
Aerial photogrammetry: Imagery acquired from the air (helicopter, UAV, fixed wing, balloon)
Terrrestrial photogrammetry: Imagery acquired from the land
SfM-MVS: Structure from Motion Multiview Stereo; referring to the technique / algorithms used in Digital Photogrammetry
Digital Photogrammetry: Photogrammetry using digital imagery and SfM algorithms
PhoDar: Photo + Lidar; also sometimes used to refer to digital photogrammetry because you get point clouds similar to a LiDAR scan

Personally I would simply refer to it as Digital Photogrammetry. The manuscript itself will then put it into the right context (within the methodology section).

All the best.