Forum

Author Topic: 1.7.4 update flaws in texture and texture missing on file reopen  (Read 3999 times)

Landy

• View Profile
1.7.4 update flaws in texture and texture missing on file reopen
« on: September 01, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »
As the subject states, the first model processed with the new version has texture issues - there are several 'fuzzy' patches in the texture that look 'tessellated'.  The texture is also not saving even though i save the file, upon reopening it, the texture is entirely missing and won't display!  I downgraded to 1.73 and opened the same file - texture was viewable but still with the same flaws.  Upon rebuilding the texture it turned out fine.
Here is the version with texture issues - I have marked the offending patches with annotations:
https://skfb.ly/opJNO
cheers
Bill
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:57:27 AM by Landy »

wojtek

• View Profile
Re: 1.7.4 update flaws in texture and texture missing on file reopen
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:41:54 AM »
It's a problem with the UV mapping in 1.7.4, I've reported this a few days ago so I guess Alexey and the team are on it already.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 02:26:10 PM »
Hello Bill,

Please check that you have build 13028 installed. Do you still obverse the problem?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

wojtek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »
I've retested with build 13028 and I'm getting different but still broken results.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:52:07 PM by wojtek »

Cyberworld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »
I'm having a similar or perhaps the same issue with pixelated/stretched texture patches. If I texture the mesh as it comes out of processing, everything works ok, but if I do any kind of post-processing on the mesh, the texture presents random patches of pixelated/stretched texture. I've seen this behaviour both for models that were exported, modified in third party software (sculpting, fixing non-manifold geometries, holes closing, etc.), imported back to Metashape and trying to rebuild the texture (Generic, Images, 16k, Mosaic); and for models with meshes that were refined, smoothed or otherwise post-processed within Metashape. The issue started in version 1.7.4 no matter what build, and I tested both on v.13028 and the previous one (don't recall number, but it came out in early August). I believe it has to do with some error during the parameterization of the texture atlas and I'm guessing it mistakenly reserves a very small space on the UV for a larger area on the mesh (I opened the UVs in Blender and verified that this is the case - very small areas that get stretched and pixelated because they apply to a large area). The software behaves entirely randomly and every time the patch/patches is/are different both in size, number and location. I've tried it on two objects, two to three times each for each version, and getting consistently pixelated/stretched patches in the texture. I rolled back to 1.7.1 and the issue seems to go away.

wojtek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
Yes, the issue revolves around UV patches being deformed and/or almost 0px in size. Also more small UV patches in general.

Is there a tweak we can use to fallback to previous version of UV parametrization?

Landy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 05:05:05 AM »
Hello Bill,

Please check that you have build 13028 installed. Do you still obverse the problem?
Thanks for your response Alexey.  Can't check the build number as I have rolled back to version 1.73.  There a 'revision number' of the MSI file is {C92CFCC7-CDD0-47EC-BC8D-C0F198A17F49} if that helps.  Haven't tried again yet, but I think I'll stick with 1.73 for a while until the problem is sorted - I have a few deadlines.
cheers
Bill
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:48:49 AM by Landy »