Forum

Author Topic: Is a dense cloud necessary to obtain a reliable orthophotomap?  (Read 1556 times)

Jaume

• View Profile
Is a dense cloud necessary to obtain a reliable orthophotomap?
« on: September 06, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »
Hi,

I wonder if when creating an orthophotomap I should generate a dense cloud each time? Is it enough to do align photos, optimize camera (after used gradual selection tool and removed noise manually), generate DEM using Deph Maps as Source data and then generate Orthomosaic based on DEM? Does the dense cloud affect the quality of the orthophotomap, even if I choose Depht Maps as the source data for DEM creating? Does the dense cloud generation process improve the depth map quality before running the DEM creation process in Agisoft?

Please let me know how it works?

Thank you for clarifying this issue.

JMR

• View Profile
Re: Is a dense cloud necessary to obtain a reliable orthophotomap?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 03:34:16 PM »
Building a DEM from depth maps makes unnecessary to build the dense cloud. So if your orthomosaic is built on this DEM why would you need the dense cloud at all? The only reason that remains valid for building the dense cloud is when one want to classify dense points to get a DTM, but this is not required if orthomosaic is the only wanted deliverable (in fact orthomosaics should be based on DSM rather than on DTM).

Regards,
José Martínez
GEOBIT & ACCUPIXEL
Metashape training