Forum

Author Topic: Version 0.9.1 Build 1703 Crashes on Generating Mesh  (Read 11895 times)

brando2121

• View Profile
Version 0.9.1 Build 1703 Crashes on Generating Mesh
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »
I updated to PhotoScan Pro Version 0.9.1 Build 1703 yesterday and now when I try to create a model, PhotoScan freezes at 10% when attempting to generate mesh during the Build Geometry step. I can Build Geometry on the Lowest setting, but anything at Medium or above, the program freezes when generating mesh at 10% and grinds my computer to a halt each time. I did not have this problem with the previous version.

Project specs: 228 pictures (all masked), no control points, no separate chunks, and I aligned photos on the High setting without issue.

I am running a HP Phoenix desktop with the following specifications: Windows 7 64-bit operating system, Intel Core i7-3930 (3.20 GHz), 16 GB of ram, and an AMD Radeon HD 7900 series graphics card.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how I can revert back to the previous PhotoScan Pro build so I can continue my work?

Thanks,
Brandon

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Version 0.9.1 Build 1703 Crashes on Generating Mesh
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
Hello Brandon,

Thank you for reporting the problem.

Can you please send us a processing log you obtain before the freezing occurs?

You can enable saving log to file using "Write log to file" option in the PhotoScan Preferences dialog.

Thanks in advance.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

brando2121

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for your quick reply. I tried to attach the processing log to this thread, but at 353 KB, the file is too big. Do you have an email address I can send it to?

Thank you for your help.

Brandon

Dmitry Semyonov

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
Hello Brandon,

Please send the log to support@agisoft.ru.
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

brando2121

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Thanks Dmitri. I just sent the log.

Brandon

Eponymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »
I'm having a similar problem with high "Build Geometry" and the 1714 build on OS X 10.7.5. Hangs at 10% of "generating mesh" though the cpu usage is low. I have to force-quit it, since it ignores the click on "cancel" even though the button responds to the mouse action. "Minimize" works however.

RAM is also maxed out, and PS seems to be using about 11GB of disk space, which is freed up upon quitting. Free space is 8GB when it gets stuck.

I'll try overnight tonight (it's a 9-hr run) and generate a log file if I can.

(I notice that it seems like the problem reported on this thread: http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=947.0. Was this just due to low RAM and very slow swapping? I'll try to create more drive space before running it tonight.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:16:44 AM by Eponymous »

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Hello Eponymous,

If there is not enough RAM for current processing stage, it goes to swap and the processing time will be increased by tens and hundreds of times (sometimes in such cases the process can not be completed).

Please try to use lower quality setting or reduce the bounding box as much as possible (if it's too huge).
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Eponymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks, Alexy. Is there a good way to estimate the needed amount of RAM, so I can see whether it's worthwhile to upgrade?

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
Hello Eponymous,

You can refer to memory requirements section on our Wiki pages: http://www.agisoft.ru/wiki/PhotoScan/Tips_and_Tricks#Memory_Requirements

The main questions are:
what is the typical number and resolution of images in your projects?
what reconstruction settings will you be commonly using (geometry quality, object type)?
what is the object or scene type you are planning to reconstruct with PhotoScan?
Having answers for these will help you to estimate the amount of RAM required for your tasks.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Eponymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:24 AM »
Hello Eponymous,

You can refer to memory requirements section on our Wiki pages: http://www.agisoft.ru/wiki/PhotoScan/Tips_and_Tricks#Memory_Requirements

The main questions are:
what is the typical number and resolution of images in your projects?
what reconstruction settings will you be commonly using (geometry quality, object type)?
what is the object or scene type you are planning to reconstruct with PhotoScan?
Having answers for these will help you to estimate the amount of RAM required for your tasks.

Ah, there it is.

I have a few dozen (so, 20-50) 15Mpixel images and am trying to do high resolution, which suggests that I need more than the 8GB of RAM I now have.