Forum

Author Topic: Build Orthomosaic and buildOrthomosaic have different behaviors using network  (Read 1906 times)

dbg

• View Profile
See following batch XML. The problem we are having is related to network processing. If we run only the first step 'BuildOrthomosaic' of METHOD 1 (i.e. Build Orthomosaic) using the 'native' Metashape call on our cluster of machines, the process completes, saves and builds fine. We can then run our custom script 'export_orthophotos.py'.

However, if we try to run both steps on the network, it appears the mosaics get built (takes long enough and shows it is building on the cluster), but shows an error for 'null orthomosaic' when it gets to our Step 2 ('export_orthophotos.py').

METHOD 1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<batchjobs save_project="true" version="1.7.1">
  <job target="all" name="BuildOrthomosaic">
      <cull_faces>true</cull_faces>
      <projection>
          <crs>GEOGCS["WGS 84",DATUM["World Geodetic System 1984",SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],UNIT["degree",0.01745329251994328,AUTHORITY["EPSG","9102"]],AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]</crs>
          <transform>1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1</transform>
          <surface>0</surface>
          <radius>1</radius>
      </projection>
      <refine_seamlines>true</refine_seamlines>
  </job>
  <job name="RunScript" target="all">
      <path>../export_orthophotos.py</path>
      <args></args>
  </job>
</batchjobs>

We have save_project=True. What are we doing wrong? Further, if we modify 'export_orthophotos.py' to include the buildOrthomosaic, example:

"
export_orthophotos.py:

import Metashape
buildOrthomosaic()
exportOrthophotos()
"

and reduce our Batch Process to a single step such as in METHOD 2, such as:

METHOD 2

<args></args>
  </job>
</batchjobs>

Then the project builds the ortho and is able to export the orthophotos (i.e. no error of a missing ortho) using METHOD 2.

Where is this bug coming from using METHOD 1? I thought there could be a 'delay' in the native save call between Steps 1 and 2 and tried to build in a false time delay by calling 'Generate Report' (METHOD 3), but it still fails and I get 'null orthomosaic' when trying to export orthophotos. Note that when I do cancel the network process, there is in fact NO orthomosaic in the project using METHODS 1 and 3.

METHOD 3

<job target="all" name="BuildOrthomosaic">
      <cull_faces>true</cull_faces>
      <projection>
          <crs>GEOGCS["WGS 84",DATUM["World Geodetic System 1984",SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],UNIT["degree",0.01745329251994328,AUTHORITY["EPSG","9102"]],AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]</crs>
          <transform>1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1</transform>
          <surface>0</surface>
          <radius>1</radius>
      </projection>
      <refine_seamlines>true</refine_seamlines>
  </job>
  <job name="GenerateReport">
  <path>../Desktop/tmp.pdf</path>
  </job>
      <args></args>
  </job>
</batchjobs>

Another frustrating bug we continue to find.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Hello dbg,

Are you sure that the script that you are using is properly configured for network processing?

Please see the example of script that is creating network tasks via Python API:
https://github.com/agisoft-llc/metashape-scripts/blob/master/src/samples/network_processing.py
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

dbg

• View Profile
Alexey,

Thank you for the prompt response. Is Metashape.Task.* able to be called within a script that is called from Batch Process (within the Metashape GUI)? I am asking because it has the following:

"
if process_network:
    network_tasks = []
    for task in tasks:
        if task.target == Metashape.Tasks.DocumentTarget:
            network_tasks.append(task.toNetworkTask(doc))
        else:
            network_tasks.append(task.toNetworkTask(chunk))

client = Metashape.NetworkClient()
    client.connect(network_server)
    batch_id = client.createBatch(doc.path, network_tasks)
    client.resumeBatch(batch_id)

print('Processing started, results will be saved to ' + output_folder + '.')
"

This would make me think this *.py file would be called from the CLI as within the GUI you setup 'network_server' and other network params in the toolbar.

If you CAN in fact call Metashape.Task within a *.py that is called within the Metashape GUI and used within a *.XML file, do you select 'Start on network?' or similar (I can't remember the exact language when you start a Batch Process).

But to answer your question, our *.py works just fine (i.e. calling buildOrthomosaic() and buildOrthophotos() within the same script). It is the Build Orthomosaic that is causing a 'null orthomosaic' error. Note that when I see 'Build Orthomosaic', it is the Batch Process step you can add to an XML using the dropdown toolbar (within Batch Process dialog).

Thanks!